libpq query length limit

From
Charles Seaton
Date:
I am using libpq to access a PostgreSQL 8.2.7 database.

I am encountering segfault errors when the query length exceeds some
value greater than 633 characters and less than 2492 characters. The
database log shows the message
LOG:  08P01: unexpected EOF on client connection

The query that causes problems through libpq can be run directly in psql
without a problem.

Is there a limit on the length of a query, and is there a way around this?

thanks,

Charles Seaton

Re: libpq query length limit

Date:
Charles Seaton <cseaton@stccmop.org> writes:
> I am using libpq to access a PostgreSQL 8.2.7 database.
> I am encountering segfault errors when the query length exceeds some
> value greater than 633 characters and less than 2492 characters. The
> database log shows the message
> LOG:  08P01: unexpected EOF on client connection

> The query that causes problems through libpq can be run directly in psql
> without a problem.

Almost certainly, this is a bug within the code calling libpq, and not
in libpq itself.  Many people routinely use queries much longer than
that ...
        regards, tom lane