DBD::Pg and .pgpass

From
Brian Trammell
Date:
Greetings,

I'm trying to run a Perl script connecting to a PostgreSQL database via
DBI and DBD::Pg as a cron job. I'm already using the .pgpass mechanism
for managing md5 passwords on the client side and would like to use the
same mechanism for connecting from the Perl script. This does not,
however, appear to work. Passing either "" or undef for the password
yields "no password supplied at <script> line <line>".

Though I could (and probably will, as I'm under some time pressure
here) easily hack in a .pgpass parser to the Perl script, this strikes
me as unconscionably inelegant. Is there some magic I'm missing to get
DBD::Pg to play nice with .pgpass, or is this a bug in DBD::Pg (1.21)
or the Postgres (8.0.1) client side itself?

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian H. Trammell / MTS, CERT/NetSA / <bht@cert.org> / 412.268.9748