Building PL/Perl without libperl.so fails

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
Hi!

With FreeBSD 5.0, there is no libperl.so installed, only libperl.a. This
makes building PL/Perl fail:

*** Cannot build PL/Perl because libperl is not a shared library.
*** You might have to rebuild your Perl installation.  Refer to
*** the documentation for details.

I'd rather link libplperl with a static libperl.a than adding a shared
libperl.so to the perl port. Can this be done, or will something break?

/Palle

Re: Building PL/Perl without libperl.so fails

Date:
Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> writes:
> I'd rather link libplperl with a static libperl.a than adding a shared
> libperl.so to the perl port. Can this be done, or will something break?

It will not work unless your platform is one where PIC code generation
is the default, so that the contents of libperl.a are amenable to
inclusion into a .so library.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Building PL/Perl without libperl.so fails

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
How about FreeBSD 5.0?

FreeBSD 4.x has libperl.so, 5.0 only has libperl.a

/Palle

--On torsdag, januari 02, 2003 15.27.31 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> writes:
>> I'd rather link libplperl with a static libperl.a than adding a shared
>> libperl.so to the perl port. Can this be done, or will something break?
>
> It will not work unless your platform is one where PIC code generation
> is the default, so that the contents of libperl.a are amenable to
> inclusion into a .so library.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Building PL/Perl without libperl.so fails

From
Daniel Kalchev
Date:
Palle,

While this should be doable (by patching configure/Makefiles), why would you
not want to have libperl.so?

On many systems, the .a files are considered 'development', while the .so
files are considered 'runtime'. Or is the libperl.a on FreeBSD 5.0 different?

Daniel

---------------------------(endof broadcast)---------------------------> TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?> >
http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Building PL/Perl without libperl.so fails

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Palle Girgensohn writes:

> FreeBSD 4.x has libperl.so, 5.0 only has libperl.a

Then whatever change was made in 5.0 needs to be reverted.  You also need
a libperl.so if you want to use mod_perl, which probably also has a
considerable market.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net