ANNOUNCE: DBD::Pg 1.20

From
David Wheeler
Date:
The uploaded file

     DBD-Pg-1.20.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

   file: $CPAN/authors/id/D/DW/DWHEELER/DBD-Pg-1.20.tar.gz
   size: 75821 bytes
    md5: ea9e217321fb62515b3723a86ecbfcdf

This is the first release under new management at GBorg. Here's a list
of changes in the new version, along with attributions:

1.20  Wed Nov 27 16:19:26 2002
       - Maintenance transferred to GBorg,
         http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/dbdpg/projdisplay.php.
Incremented
         version number to reflect new management. [Bruce Momjian]
       - README cleaned up. [Bruce Momjian]
       - Added t/15funct.t, a series of tests that determine if the meta
data
         is working. [Thomas Lowery]
       - Added implementations of column_info() and table_info(), and
         primary_key_info(). [Thomas Lowery]
       - The POD formatting was cleaned up. [David Wheeler]
       - The preparser was updated to better handle escaped characters.
[Rudy
         Lippan]
       - Removed redundant use of strlen() in pg_error() (Jason E.
Stewart).
       - Test suite cleaned up, converted to use Test::More, and updated
to use
         standard DBI environment variables for connecting to a test
database.
         [Jason E. Stewart]
       - Added eg/lotest.pl as a demonstration of using large objects in
buffers
         rather than files. Contributed by Garth Webb.
       - Added LISTEN/NOTIFY functionality. Congributed by Alex Pilosov.
       - Added constants for common PostgreSQL data types, plus simple
tests to
    make sure that they work. These are exportable via "use DBD::Pg
    qw(:pg_types);". [David Wheeler]
       - Deprecatated the undocumented (and invalid) use of SQL_BINARY in
    bind_param() and documented the correct approach: "bind_param($num,
    $val { pg_type => PG_BYTEA });". Use of SQL_BINARY in bind_param() will
         now issue a warning if $h->{Warn} is true. [David Wheeler]
       - Removed invalid (and broken) support for SQL_BINARY in quote().
[David
    Wheeler]
       - Added App::Info::RDBMS::PostgreSQL to the distribution (but it
won't
         be installed) to help Makefile.PL find the PostgreSQL include
and
         library files. [David Wheeler]
       - Fixed compile-time warnings. [David Wheeler and Jason E.
Stewart]

Enjoy!

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Re: ANNOUNCE: DBD::Pg 1.20

From
"Jason E. Stewart"
Date:
"Dave Rolsky" <autarch@urth.org> writes:

> I found a bug in the ->tables method.  It includes all the system tables.
> A patch is at the bottom of the message.

Thanks Dave,

> The SQL was correct in 1.13 so I'm not sure how this happened.  There's
> also no real test of this method in the test suite, other than testing to
> make sure that calling it doesn't die.  But you need to test that it
> returns the right thing too ;)
>
> I'd like to offer a test patch but I don't know exactly what you'd expect
> to find in the schema during testing.

t/01setup.t has the following:
 my $sql = <<SQL; CREATE TABLE test (   id int,   name text,   val text,   score float,   date timestamp default
'now()') SQL

You can expect that table to exist. Also, you could create a couple of
more tables/views and test that as well.

Cheers,
jas.

PS. Thanks for the Mason book, I'm enjoying it.

Re: ANNOUNCE: DBD::Pg 1.20

From
"Jason E. Stewart"
Date:
"Jason E. Stewart" <jason@openinformatics.com> writes:

> "Dave Rolsky" <autarch@urth.org> writes:
>
> > I found a bug in the ->tables method.  It includes all the system tables.
> > A patch is at the bottom of the message.
>
> Thanks Dave,

Patch applied and committed. It will appear in the next release of
DBD::Pg.

jas.

Re: ANNOUNCE: DBD::Pg 1.20

From
David Wheeler
Date:
On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 12:47  PM, Thomas A. Lowery wrote:

> I modified the tables and table_info methods to include the system
> tables.

Okay, so the question is, is this a desirable change? Do people want to
know about the system tables or not? Is there a standard answer to this
question? Should we have a separate method that includes system tables?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Best,

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e                                               Jabber:
Theory@jabber.org

Re: ANNOUNCE: DBD::Pg 1.20

From
"Thomas A. Lowery"
Date:
On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 07:38:52PM -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Thomas A. Lowery wrote:

> > I modified the tables and table_info methods to include the system tables.
>
> Why?  It's really pretty irritating since they _always_ will be included.
> And you didn't modify the docs to match, since they still say that they're
> _not_ included.

My mistake on the docs, I'll correct them. I find it irritating that the
systems tables are NOT included.  Is there a good reason to exclude them?
The advance meta data methods provide a means to write portable code across
the different drivers, let's not leave DBD::Pg out.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Lowery
See DBI/FAQ http://xmlproj.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/fom