libpgtcl modifications

From
g.hintermayer@inode.at (Gerhard Hintermayer)
Date:
Well, I hacked some files to get the following working:
A broken backend connection trigers a notify event to the client
(fixed
notification string "connection_closed") so proper action can be taken
to switch to another database server etc. Remember that this is event
driven. If you have applications, that have idle database connections
most of the time, you'll get immediate feedback of a dying server.
Upon
connection to the server issue a pg_notify for notify event
"connection_closed" and whenever the backend crashes (which it does do
in very very rare cases) you get an event driven recovery. (of course
the Tcl-Event loop has to be processed). Issuing a notification
"connection_closed" on a still working database could be used for
switching to another db-server.
I'd like to share my changes (because I don't want to apply them to
every release). What's the way to go ?
I'd also like to see a TclObj-based implementation, and also support
for
Tcl8.4, *and* I'd even be willing to implement some of these changes.
Any suggestions ?

Attached is the patch with the described functionality. Oops , cannot
attach files with google, and my ISP does'nt have
comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces :-(, what shall I do ? My ISP
says, this NG is not listed in the BIG8 groups, is that correct ?

Gerhard

Re: libpgtcl modifications

From
Gerhard Hintermayer
Date:
Luke Myers wrote:
> Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
>
>> Attached is the patch with the described functionality. Oops , cannot
>> attach files with google, and my ISP does'nt have
>> comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces :-(, what shall I do ? My ISP
>> says, this NG is not listed in the BIG8 groups, is that correct ?
>>
>> Gerhard
>>

>  Can you use news.postgresql.org?
>
> -- Luke Kale Myers

Indeed that works, and I even managed to use it with leafnode.

Here's the patch (hope i did it right)

--
Gerhard Hintermayer
http://www.inode.at/g.hintermayer

Attachment

Re: libpgtcl modifications

Date:
Can I have some description of what this patch does?

Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
> Luke Myers wrote:
> > Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
> >
> >> Attached is the patch with the described functionality. Oops , cannot
> >> attach files with google, and my ISP does'nt have
> >> comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces :-(, what shall I do ? My ISP
> >> says, this NG is not listed in the BIG8 groups, is that correct ?
> >>
> >> Gerhard
> >>

> >  Can you use news.postgresql.org?
> >
> > -- Luke Kale Myers
> >

> Indeed that works, and I even managed to use it with leafnode.
>
> Here's the patch (hope i did it right)
>

> --
> Gerhard Hintermayer
> http://www.inode.at/g.hintermayer

[ application/x-gunzip is not supported, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: libpgtcl modifications

Date:

Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
> Luke Myers wrote:
> > Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
> >
> >> Attached is the patch with the described functionality. Oops , cannot
> >> attach files with google, and my ISP does'nt have
> >> comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces :-(, what shall I do ? My ISP
> >> says, this NG is not listed in the BIG8 groups, is that correct ?
> >>
> >> Gerhard
> >>

> >  Can you use news.postgresql.org?
> >
> > -- Luke Kale Myers
> >

> Indeed that works, and I even managed to use it with leafnode.
>
> Here's the patch (hope i did it right)
>

> --
> Gerhard Hintermayer
> http://www.inode.at/g.hintermayer

[ application/x-gunzip is not supported, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: libpgtcl modifications

From
Gerhard Hintermayer
Date:
Revision 2 was not so quick, but also not so dirty. Here's my first draft.
I have modified:
- Version number of Pgtcl changed to 1.4 (to reflect the additional command)
- added a command pg_on_connection_loss
   Syntax: pg_on_connection_loss conn ?callback?
   Use no callback parameter to query the actuall callback script and
with parameter to set/change callback. The callback is evaluated
whenever the connection to the backend gets lost (eof condition ?).

I do this by checking for a false return value from PQconsumeInput.
Today I did some quick testing, no segfaults, no errors. Broken backends
are detected both in idle connections and when you're in a COPY command
(these are the two possibilities, where PQconsumeInput is called).
I'm using the same readable fileevent on the database connection as
pg_listen does internally. The structure Pg_ConnectionId was extended by
two fields : char *conn_loss to store the callback and Tcl_Interp
*interp to store the interpreter, in which context the callback will be
  evaluated.
Can someone with more experience on Tcl event programming take a look at
this, I mananged to write some Tcl extensions, but am new to modifying
the Tcl event-loop. (what I did, was copying most of the pg_listen stuff).
Basically  PgStartNotifyEventSource() is called, when a callback proc is
supplied to pg_on_connection_loss, which (unmodified) does install a
readable fileevent on the db connection, then I check for false return
value of PQconsumeInput and add a ConnLossEvent type to the event queue.
(pg_)listen callbacks are deleted immediately from the the event queue
when the db connection is broken, just like in the unpatch version. What
  This a point worth to discuss: Which commands will dump core when used
in the disconnect handler ? pg_disconnect works, but the best thing
might be to invoke pg_disconnect as the first command  within the
disconnect handler per default (in C code, not in Tcl) so possible
subsequent operations on the just closed connection would at least
trigger a "... is not a valid postgresql connection" error, but not run
into any segfaults.

I will do some more testing tomorrow, but since I only can post via
google at work, I'd like to get some feedback more quickly.

Gerhard

PS: I need my patch also for an older version of Postgresql (7.0.2), can
I copy the whole libpgtcl directory into the 7.0.2 source path without
any risk ?

--
Gerhard Hintermayer
http://www.inode.at/g.hintermayer

Attachment

Re: libpgtcl modifications

From
g.hintermayer@inode.at (Gerhard Hintermayer)
Date:
Last Thursday I posted revision 2 of my patch (directly to
news.postgresql.org with *no* error). Unfortuntely it does not show up
here. This are the longest 6 to 9 hours I've ever seen. I Will repost
in the evening :-(

Gerhard

Re: libpgtcl modifications

From
Gerhard Hintermayer
Date:
Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
> Last Thursday I posted revision 2 of my patch (directly to
> news.postgresql.org with *no* error). Unfortuntely it does not show up
> here. This are the longest 6 to 9 hours I've ever seen. I Will repost
> in the evening :-(
>
> Gerhard

Damn, I posted that from the PC located at my girlfriend. Do'nt have the
description I wrote (It was quite long). Btw, is there a more save way to do
postings to comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces. I also do get strange replys
from postmaster@afk.dk when I do post via Google ? Strange !

Here you have a short description, the long one you'll get when I'm at my other
PC next time.

I added a new command:

pg_on_connection_loss conn ?callback?

changed libpgtcl version to 1.4 to reflect the additional command.

No callback to query the current script, with callback to set/change callback
script. Script is executed whenever (all occurences of) PQconsumeInput return
false, i.e. both in an idle database connection and while processing a COPY
command. Tested a bit, no errors, alle db-operations in callback are allowed
(and trigger a "is not a valid connection" or so error)

Any comments ?

--
Gerhard Hintermayer
http://www.inode.at/g.hintermayer

Re: libpgtcl modifications

From
Gerhard Hintermayer
Date:
Sorry, forgot the attachment. Here it is.

--

Date:

Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
> Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
> > Last Thursday I posted revision 2 of my patch (directly to
> > news.postgresql.org with *no* error). Unfortuntely it does not show up
> > here. This are the longest 6 to 9 hours I've ever seen. I Will repost
> > in the evening :-(
> >
> > Gerhard
>
> Damn, I posted that from the PC located at my girlfriend. Do'nt have the
> description I wrote (It was quite long). Btw, is there a more save way to do
> postings to comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces. I also do get strange replys
> from postmaster@afk.dk when I do post via Google ? Strange !
>
> Here you have a short description, the long one you'll get when I'm at my other
> PC next time.
>
> I added a new command:
>
> pg_on_connection_loss conn ?callback?
>
> changed libpgtcl version to 1.4 to reflect the additional command.
>
> No callback to query the current script, with callback to set/change callback
> script. Script is executed whenever (all occurences of) PQconsumeInput return
> false, i.e. both in an idle database connection and while processing a COPY
> command. Tested a bit, no errors, alle db-operations in callback are allowed
> (and trigger a "is not a valid connection" or so error)
>
> Any comments ?
>
> --
> Gerhard Hintermayer
> http://www.inode.at/g.hintermayer