help understanding libpq++

From
"Ted Petrosky"
Date:
Help,

I have been working with Mac OSX (postgresql runs just fine) and I want to
start using the developers tools (project builder) however, I do not have the
technical expertise to create a project using the libpq or pg++ libraries.

Has someone done this? Is there anyone available that could help getting this
project started? I am desperately seeking someone to help me understand
how to use this.

thanks,

Ted

Re: help understanding libpq++

From
jtv
Date:
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:28:37AM -0500, Ted Petrosky wrote:

> I have been working with Mac OSX (postgresql runs just fine) and I want to
> start using the developers tools (project builder) however, I do not have the
> technical expertise to create a project using the libpq or pg++ libraries.
I'm not sure I catch your meaning entirely, but if what you mean is you want
to write programs that access a PostgreSQL database through libpq or libpq++,
I'd be willing to help.  It isn't very hard, although libpq++ is a bit
awkward in its interface.  The basic rule for learning it is to ignore the
PgCursor, PgLargeObject and PgConnection classes.  The latter may come in
handy but you'll never actually /need/ it, because PgDatabase only differs
from it in that it also lets you see query results.

And as I never fail to point out, I am working on a replacement called
libpqxx.  This requires a good compiler and a programmer used to advanced
C++ concepts, but given those requirements should be easier to use and use
well.

It can be found on my home page:

http://members.ams.chello.nl/j.vermeulen31/proj-libpqxx.html

Jeroen

Re: help understanding libpq++

From
Jeremy Buchmann
Date:
On Monday, March 4, 2002, at 01:16 PM, jtv wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:28:37AM -0500, Ted Petrosky wrote:
>>
>> I have been working with Mac OSX (postgresql runs just fine) and I
>> want to
>> start using the developers tools (project builder) however, I do not
>> have the
>> technical expertise to create a project using the libpq or pg++
>> libraries.
>
> I'm not sure I catch your meaning entirely, but if what you mean is you
> want
> to write programs that access a PostgreSQL database through libpq or
> libpq++,

I think what he means is he wants to use Apple's Project Builder IDE
which
handles compiling and linking for you.  However, it only saves time when
you're
using it with frameworks and other Apple-specific things.  If you're
just writing a
plain C program that uses libpq, it won't save you any time.  But if you
would like to
use it, you can create an empty project and (manually) add the source
file(s) and
libs yourself.  The Project Builder docs explain how to do that.

--Jeremy