pgAccess v. Access2000

From
jim davis
Date:
Ok, I am sure if i spent 3 days looking through the archives I might
find someone with an answer...
Anyway, we have this database currently running on Access2000 with a MS
Personal Web server.  This is bad, as we finally talked "them" into
letting us move it to a PostgreSQL server and Apache.  I was able to
export the tables and data out of the Access database with out any
problems.  The problems arise when the folks that maintain the database
want to go and look at the stuff in it and make changes, or set flags.
When it was running on Access, they could preform one of the bazillion
queries they developed and directly modify the tables from the query.
My first attempt was to install the PostgreSQL ODBC drivers and attack
it that way.  I was able to link the tables and I can even update the
tables, but when I make a query either in pass-through or "design view"
mode, it will query, but I cannot edit the tables.  Everything I have
read on the issue says I can't.  So I went look for another answer, and
found pgAccess.  It seems like it nice little app, however lacking in
docs.  I can create a query in visual design view (just like MS Access)
and it works great, however I am stuck with the same problem.  I cannot
directly edit the table based on the query.  In addition, one of the
queries they have set up, prompts for a "criteria" value.  The "visual
design view" part of pgAccess has a line for criteria, but as far as I
can tell, it has to be entered at the time of the query.  Is there a way
to make pgAccess prompt for a value?  As unstable and unsecure as Access
is, it does seem to offer some nice features that I am sure our folks
are not going to want to give up if it makes their lives harder to use a
better DB like PostgreSQL.  Thanks!
--
-Jim Davis
Network Coordinator II

Re: pgAccess v. Access2000

From
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Date:
I guess that you are talking about table alterations. There are several
limitations on PostgreSQL, one of them is adding dropping columns, another
is adding default values, and I can't remeber the rest. However, as well as
pgAccess you might want to take a look at
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org
which I regularly use (to alter tables right click on them and go to
properties).If you need something not offerd by ALTER TABLE you can rename the
table then create another table with the old name, but altered schema then
copy from one to the other. This can have problems with things that cache a
tables oid though (I think functions and views may do this, not sure as I
don't tend to drop columns from tables (or rename them)). Or you can alter a
pg_dump file to change a table then upload it.
Hope something here helps
- Stuart

[...]

Tom Samplonius
Date:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, jim davis wrote:

> When it was running on Access, they could preform one of the bazillion
> queries they developed and directly modify the tables from the query.
 I guess you want an updatable result set from a query?  I'm pretty sure
you can do this, but a flag needs to be turned on in the ODBC driver.
Check the documentation.  When it is on, Access will tell you the
recordset is updatable.

Tom

Re: pgAccess v. Access2000

From
"Michael Ansley (UK)"
Date:
SHA1</font><p><fontsize="2">Part of the problem here is that Access allows you to update</font><br /><font
/><fontsize="2">>> When it was running on Access, they could preform one of the </font><br /><font
/><fontsize="2">>> in docs.  I can create a query in visual design view (just like </font><br /><font
size="2">Version:PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use <<a href="http://www.pgp.com"
size="2">iQA/AwUBPB3XWnympNV/C086EQKzZwCg708sgThewBpEY2BGF0N4f7X35C8AoPpR</font><br/><font
SIGNATURE-----</font><code><fontsize="3"><br /><br /> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be
privilegedand/or copyright <br /> material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated companies). If you are not
an<br /> intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete <br /> it
immediatelyand notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing, <br /> printing or further
disseminationof this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. <br /> Intec Telecom Systems PLC. does not
representor warrant that an attachment hereto is free <br /> from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions
expressedin this e-mail and any <br /> attachments may be those of the author and are not necessarily those of Intec