Fwd: Re: ECPG error on inserting records to DB

From
Edward Pilipczuk
Date:
>> I have problems with inserting records into DB by the C program that
>> uses ECPG interface. I am using 7.1.2 in Mandrake 8.0.
>> Sometimes it abnormally terminates with segmentation violation and
>> sometimes it produces the following SQL error message:
>
>Could this be a memory problem?

I am suspecting that !
I've noticed that behaviour when the system was uptime 41 days.
After reboot (the whole system) all starts functioning properly.
Question is who is responsible for that behaviour? A) my daemon process?  B) kernel?  C) postmaster?

>The later means that ecpg gets an incorrect source, that is the text it
>tries to scan is not correct. Does it print this during compile time (it
>should)?

No! These are runtime messages.

>Could you strip down the example to a handy small program that you can send
>me?

No problem.

--
Edward Pilipczuk

Re: Fwd: Re: ECPG error on inserting records to DB

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 05:03:30PM +0100, Edward Pilipczuk wrote:
> >Could this be a memory problem?
>
> I am suspecting that !
> I've noticed that behaviour when the system was uptime 41 days.
> After reboot (the whole system) all starts functioning properly.

Sounds like memory too. :-)

> Question is who is responsible for that behaviour?
>   A) my daemon process?

Likely.

>   B) kernel?

Very unlikely.

>   C) postmaster?

Impossible. Not that the postmaster cannot have a memory leak but it
shouldn't affect the client in such a way.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Re: Fwd: Re: ECPG error on inserting records to DB

From
"Andrew G. Hammond"
Date:

Date:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:54:12AM -0500, Andrew G. Hammond wrote:
> > >   B) kernel?
> >
> > Very unlikely.
>
>   Depends on which version of the kernel you're running and how much stress
> you're putting on the VM system.  As you might recall, there was recently
> some changes and a bit of a mixup over the kernel's vm code.  The old stuff

Argh, I just forgot about that. Of course you're right. Thsi could be the
reason. After all I wasn't able to tar 200MB with and earlier 2.4 release.

> in 2.2 is very stable and quite trustworthy.  The newest stuff (2.4.14+)
> appears to be pretty stable too, but some of the stuff circa 2.4.9 has a less

As far as VM is concerned yes, but I'd recommend not using .14 (several
problems) and .15 (risk of data loss in umount). .16 seems to be okay.

Michael