Perl DBI documentation

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
I was looking through the docs for PostgreSQL and it suddenly struck me
that there is no reference for any of the Perl interfaces, neither the
native Pg module or DBD::Pg.  Is there a reason for this?  Surely, at
least DBI should be mentioned along with ODBC and JDBC!

-- Brett               http://www.chapelperilous.net/btfwk/
Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself.

Re: Perl DBI documentation

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Brett W. McCoy writes:

> I was looking through the docs for PostgreSQL and it suddenly struck me
> that there is no reference for any of the Perl interfaces, neither the
> native Pg module or DBD::Pg.  Is there a reason for this?  Surely, at
> least DBI should be mentioned along with ODBC and JDBC!

The reason that DBI is not documented is that PostgreSQL doesn't ship a
DBD/DBI interface.  The Pg module is documented as a man page and perldoc.
The reason that it's not in DocBook yet is not unrelated to the fact that
no one has ever volunteered to prepare such documentation.  I've been
experimenting with a Perldoc -> DocBook tool, so maybe 7.2 will have
something there.

Re: Perl DBI documentation

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The reason that DBI is not documented is that PostgreSQL doesn't ship a
> DBD/DBI interface.  The Pg module is documented as a man page and perldoc.
> The reason that it's not in DocBook yet is not unrelated to the fact that
> no one has ever volunteered to prepare such documentation.  I've been
> experimenting with a Perldoc -> DocBook tool, so maybe 7.2 will have
> something there.

Well, perhaps the entire documentation doesn't need to be duplicated, but
a mention (and perhaps a web link to CPAN or something) should be
mentioned in the programmers guide; it could lead to the impression that
there is no Perl interface available at all.

-- Brett               http://www.chapelperilous.net/btfwk/
No modern woman with a grain of sense ever sends little notes to an
unmarried man -- not until she is married, anyway.    -- Arthur Binstead