ODBC - Invalid protocol character

From
Cedar Cox
Date:
When using the odbc driver from Access in Win9x we sometimes receive the
error message "An invalid protocol character was received from the
backend".  While this could mean that someone passed gas, I don't think
so.  Anyone see this before?  The one particular query that gave this
error is:

SELECT Description AS "Item", SuitabilityName AS "Suitability",
AgeGroupName AS "Age Group", SizeName AS "Size", Qty AS "Quantity",
tblStResTree_cache.SurID
FROM tblListRequestItems, tblIdSuitability, tblIdAgeGroup, tblIdSize,
tblStResTree_cache
WHERE tblListRequestItems.SuitabilityID = tblIdSuitability.SuitabilityID
AND tblListRequestItems.AgeGroupID = tblIdAgeGroup.AgeGroupID
AND tblListRequestItems.SizeID = tblIdSize.SizeID
AND tblListRequestItems.TreeID = tblStResTree_cache.TreeID
AND RequestItemID=3;

It really doesn't look strange at all, so I'm not sure what's wrong.
This happened a while ago and things have changed since then so I'm not
sure if I can reproduce the error or not.  If needed I can dig through my
archive in a little and try to give a stable test case for this problem.

-Cedar

RE: ODBC - Invalid protocol character

From
Michael Davis
Does this query work in psql?  Can we see the psqlodbc_????.log file from your C: drive?

Date:
Cedar Cox <cedarc@visionforisrael.com> writes:
> When using the odbc driver from Access in Win9x we sometimes receive the
> error message "An invalid protocol character was received from the
> backend".  While this could mean that someone passed gas, I don't think
> so.  Anyone see this before?

That suggests that the frontend and backend got out of sync.  There used
to be some bugs that could cause that, but I thought we'd fixed 'em all.
What Postgres version are you running?

If you're on 7.0 or later, I'd definitely like to see a reproducible
test case...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
> Cedar Cox <cedarc@visionforisrael.com> writes:
> > When using the odbc driver from Access in Win9x we sometimes receive the
> > error message "An invalid protocol character was received from the
> > backend".  While this could mean that someone passed gas, I don't think
> > so.  Anyone see this before?
>
> That suggests that the frontend and backend got out of sync.  There used
> to be some bugs that could cause that, but I thought we'd fixed 'em all.
> What Postgres version are you running?
>
> If you're on 7.0 or later, I'd definitely like to see a reproducible
> test case...

I'm on PG 7.0.2 and using the ODBC driver I grabbed from the "main ODBC
site" back in July.  I've got lots of (maybe too many ;) backups of our
development.  I'll see what I can come up with.

--
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Michael Davis wrote:

> Does this query work in psql?  Can we see the psqlodbc_????.log file
> from your C: drive?

Again, this happened a while ago.  I'm sure the query would have worked
from psql.. there's nothing strange about it.  I have to enable logging in
the PG ODBC driver to get a psqlodbc_????.log, right?  Will this log
errors like this one?

-Cedar