pgAdmin

From
Charlie Crissman
Date:
I am having a problem just getting started with pgAdmin.  I am not even able
to create a DSN to get connected.  I can connect ok to my PostgreSQL
databases using pgaccess - and of course with psql on the server.

Is there any documentation out there or anyone with some experience using
this tool?

Thanks, Charlie Crissman

Charlie Crissman
Sr. Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified Professional DBA
No Boundaries Network, Inc.
904-245-6839
Pager 904-840-3684
mailto:CCrissman@nbibx.com <mailto:CCrissman@nbibx.com>
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.

RE: pgAdmin

From
Dave Page

Yes! Do you have the PostgreSQL ODBC driver installed?

Regards,

Dave.

RE: pgAdmin

From
Charlie Crissman
Date:
Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded and installed the PostgreSQL ODBC driver (downloaded latest
postdrv.exe and ran it).
I also downloaded and installed the MDAC 2.6.

A couple of questions - what is the difference between a USER DSN and a
SYSTEM DSN?  When I attempt to create a new DSN, I choose a name for it, I
enter the server, database name and the port it is running under.  When I
hit either the USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN button, I don't get an error.  I then
try to login and get a message about the username/password being incorrect.
I am using the same name/password as I use to connect via psql on the
server.  I have tried different cases, but still get the same thing.

Even when I edit my pg_hba.conf so that passwords are not required, I get
the same name/password error.

Thanks, Charlie Crissman
> I am having a problem just getting started with pgAdmin.  I
> am not even able
> to create a DSN to get connected.  I can connect ok to my PostgreSQL
> databases using pgaccess - and of course with psql on the server.
>
> Is there any documentation out there or anyone with some
> experience using
> this tool?

Yes! Do you have the PostgreSQL ODBC driver installed?

Regards,

Dave.

RE: pgAdmin

From
Charlie Crissman
Date:
One of the developers here have me a hand and showed me what I was doing
wrong.

Thanks, Charlie Crissman