PQsetnonblocking questions

From
"Tim Barnard"
Date:
Hello everyone,

I'm running release 7.0.3 and discovered that the include file libpq-fe.h prototypes PQsetnonblocking as follows: int PQsetnonblocking(PGconn * conn, int arg)
 However, the documentation shows it as: PQsetnonblocking(PGconn * conn).
Does nayone know what the extra argument "int arg" is for? And as my C app is not using a select statement to wait, do I even need to use PQsetnonblocking? I am using PQconsumeInput, PQsendQuery, PQisBusy and PQgetResult.

Tim
S.E. Mgr
Hartford Communications

Re: PQsetnonblocking questions

Date:
"Tim Barnard" <tbarnard@povn.com> writes:
> ... do I even need to use PQsetnonblocking?

Not unless you are unhappy about the possibility of short-term blocking
during PQsendQuery (which is a very remote possibility anyway, unless
you send huge query strings).

I believe that the nonblocking-mode code is pretty buggy, and don't
recommend using it unless you really need it and want to help debug
it...
        regards, tom lane