Announcing PgSQL - a Python DB-API 2.0 compliant interface to PostgreSQL

From
"Billy G. Allie"
Announce: First public release of PgSQL Version 1.0

PgSQL v1.0 has been released.  This is the first public release of PgSQL.
It is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgsql.

PgSQL is a package of two (2) modules that provide a Python DB-API 2.0
compliant interface to PostgreSQL databases.  The first module, libpq,
exports the PostgreSQL C API to Python.  This module is written in C and
can be compiled into Python or can be dynamically loaded on demand.  The
second module, PgSQL, provides the DB-API 2.0 compliant interface and
support for various PostgreSQL data types, such as INT8, NUMERIC, MONEY,
BOOL, ARRAYS, etc.  This module is written in Python and works with
PostgreSQL 6.5.2 or later and Python 1.5.2 or later.

PostgreSQL is a sophisticated Object-Relational DBMS, supporting almost all
SQL constructs, including sub-selects, transactions, and user-defined types
and functions. It is the most advanced open-source database available
anywhere More information about PostgreSQL can be found at the PostgreSQL
home page at http://www.postgresql.org.

Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming lang-
uage.  It combines remarkable power with very clear syntax.  It has
modules, classes, exceptions, very high level dynamic data types, and
dynamic typing.  There are interfaces to many system calls and libraries,
as well as to various windowing systems (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC).  New
builtin modules are easily written in C or C++.  Python is also usable as
an extension language for applications that need a programmable interface.
Python is copyrighted but freely usable and distributable, even for
commercial use.  More information about Python can be found on the Python
home page at http://www.python.org.

--
____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
|  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |

Re: Announcing PgSQL - a Python DB-API 2.0 compliant interface to PostgreSQL

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Billy G. Allie writes:

> PgSQL v1.0 has been released.  This is the first public release of PgSQL.
> It is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgsql.

Sounds interesting, but isn't "pgsql" an extremely unfortunate choice of
name, given that it's already used as an abbreviation for "PostgreSQL"?

I need to know how this is different than our current python interface,
PyGreSQL.

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Announce: First public release of PgSQL Version 1.0
>
> PgSQL v1.0 has been released.  This is the first public release of PgSQL.
> It is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgsql.
>
> PgSQL is a package of two (2) modules that provide a Python DB-API 2.0
> compliant interface to PostgreSQL databases.  The first module, libpq,
> exports the PostgreSQL C API to Python.  This module is written in C and
> can be compiled into Python or can be dynamically loaded on demand.  The
> second module, PgSQL, provides the DB-API 2.0 compliant interface and
> support for various PostgreSQL data types, such as INT8, NUMERIC, MONEY,
> BOOL, ARRAYS, etc.  This module is written in Python and works with
> PostgreSQL 6.5.2 or later and Python 1.5.2 or later.
>
> PostgreSQL is a sophisticated Object-Relational DBMS, supporting almost all
> SQL constructs, including sub-selects, transactions, and user-defined types
> and functions. It is the most advanced open-source database available
> anywhere More information about PostgreSQL can be found at the PostgreSQL
> home page at http://www.postgresql.org.
>
> Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming lang-
> uage.  It combines remarkable power with very clear syntax.  It has
> modules, classes, exceptions, very high level dynamic data types, and
> dynamic typing.  There are interfaces to many system calls and libraries,
> as well as to various windowing systems (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC).  New
> builtin modules are easily written in C or C++.  Python is also usable as
> an extension language for applications that need a programmable interface.
> Python is copyrighted but freely usable and distributable, even for
> commercial use.  More information about Python can be found on the Python
> home page at http://www.python.org.
>
> --
> ____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
> |  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
> |-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
> |/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |

-- End of PGP section.

Pennsylvania19026

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I need to know how this is different than our current python interface,
> PyGreSQL.

Is this a product of pgsql.com?

Vince.

> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > Announce: First public release of PgSQL Version 1.0
> >
> > PgSQL v1.0 has been released.  This is the first public release of PgSQL.
> > It is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgsql.
> >
> > PgSQL is a package of two (2) modules that provide a Python DB-API 2.0
> > compliant interface to PostgreSQL databases.  The first module, libpq,
> > exports the PostgreSQL C API to Python.  This module is written in C and
> > can be compiled into Python or can be dynamically loaded on demand.  The
> > second module, PgSQL, provides the DB-API 2.0 compliant interface and
> > support for various PostgreSQL data types, such as INT8, NUMERIC, MONEY,
> > BOOL, ARRAYS, etc.  This module is written in Python and works with
> > PostgreSQL 6.5.2 or later and Python 1.5.2 or later.
> >
> > PostgreSQL is a sophisticated Object-Relational DBMS, supporting almost all
> > SQL constructs, including sub-selects, transactions, and user-defined types
> > and functions. It is the most advanced open-source database available
> > anywhere More information about PostgreSQL can be found at the PostgreSQL
> > home page at http://www.postgresql.org.
> >
> > Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming lang-
> > uage.  It combines remarkable power with very clear syntax.  It has
> > modules, classes, exceptions, very high level dynamic data types, and
> > dynamic typing.  There are interfaces to many system calls and libraries,
> > as well as to various windowing systems (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC).  New
> > builtin modules are easily written in C or C++.  Python is also usable as
> > an extension language for applications that need a programmable interface.
> > Python is copyrighted but freely usable and distributable, even for
> > commercial use.  More information about Python can be found on the Python
> > home page at http://www.python.org.
> >
> > --
> > ____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
> > |  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
> > |-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
> > |/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |
> >

> -- End of PGP section.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Nope, neigher PyGreSQL nor ""PGSQL"" are products of
Pgsql.com (aka PostgreSQL Inc)On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I need to know how this is different than our current python interface,
> > PyGreSQL.
>
> Is this a product of pgsql.com?
>
> Vince.

Jeff MacDonald,

PostgreSQL Inc        | Hub.Org Networking Services
jeff@pgsql.com        | jeff@hub.org
www.pgsql.com        | www.hub.org
1-902-542-0713        | 1-902-542-3657
Facsimile : 1 902 542 5386
IRC Nick  : bignose

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Nope, neigher PyGreSQL nor ""PGSQL"" are products of
> Pgsql.com (aka PostgreSQL Inc)On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

I knew PyGreSQL wasn't but PgSQL appeared a bit misleading.  Thanks
for clearing that up.   I guess on the website I should call it
PgSQL - NA

Vince.

Bruce Momjian writes:

> I need to know how this is different than our current python interface,
> PyGreSQL.

> > PgSQL is a package of two (2) modules that provide a Python DB-API 2.0
> > compliant interface to PostgreSQL databases.

DB-API is the standard database interface for Python.  Kind of like
DBD/DBI for Perl.

The existing one is hand-crafted, kind of like the Pg Perl module.

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Billy G. Allie writes:
>
> > PgSQL v1.0 has been released.  This is the first public release of PgSQL.
> > It is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgsql.
>
> Sounds interesting, but isn't "pgsql" an extremely unfortunate choice of
> name, given that it's already used as an abbreviation for "PostgreSQL"?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

PgSQL is the name of the module you import in Python to access a PostgreSQL
database from Python using the DB-API 2.0.  The project name on SourceForge
is "Python Interface to PostgreSQL".  Of course, it there is too much heart
burn with the modules name, I can change it.

"Billy G. Allie" <Bill.Allie@mug.org> writes:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Sounds interesting, but isn't "pgsql" an extremely unfortunate choice of
>> name, given that it's already used as an abbreviation for "PostgreSQL"?

> PgSQL is the name of the module you import in Python to access a PostgreSQL
> database from Python using the DB-API 2.0.  The project name on SourceForge
> is "Python Interface to PostgreSQL".  Of course, it there is too much heart
> burn with the modules name, I can change it.

FWIW, my initial reaction was the same as Peter's: that name is certain
to cause confusion.  I don't want to try to force you to change it, but
I think it's not a good choice.

Don't have a better alternative to offer offhand, however.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Billy G. Allie" <Bill.Allie@mug.org> writes:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Sounds interesting, but isn't "pgsql" an extremely unfortunate choice of
> >> name, given that it's already used as an abbreviation for "PostgreSQL"?
>
> > PgSQL is the name of the module you import in Python to access a PostgreSQL
> > database from Python using the DB-API 2.0.  The project name on SourceForge
> > is "Python Interface to PostgreSQL".  Of course, it there is too much heart
> > burn with the modules name, I can change it.
>
> FWIW, my initial reaction was the same as Peter's: that name is certain
> to cause confusion.  I don't want to try to force you to change it, but
> I think it's not a good choice.
>
> Don't have a better alternative to offer offhand, however.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I couldn't think of a better alternative, either.  That's why the module
name is PgSQL.  Of course, seeing 'import PgSQL' in the python code seems
to imply loading code to access PostgreSQL.  It's kind of self-documenting,
don'y you think? :-)

I am, however, open to suggestions to a better alternative if one can be
offered.

I am, however, open to suggestions to a better alternative if one can be
offered.
____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
|  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |

Re: Announcing PgSQL - a Python DB-API 2.0 compliant interface to PostgreSQL

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Billy G. Allie wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > PgSQL is the name of the module you import in Python to access a PostgreSQL
> > > database from Python using the DB-API 2.0.  The project name on SourceForge
> > > is "Python Interface to PostgreSQL".  Of course, it there is too much heart
> > > burn with the modules name, I can change it.
> >
> > FWIW, my initial reaction was the same as Peter's: that name is certain
> > to cause confusion.  I don't want to try to force you to change it, but
> > I think it's not a good choice.
> >
> > Don't have a better alternative to offer offhand, however.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane
>
> I couldn't think of a better alternative, either.  That's why the module
> name is PgSQL.  Of course, seeing 'import PgSQL' in the python code seems
> to imply loading code to access PostgreSQL.  It's kind of self-documenting,
> don'y you think? :-)

D'Arcy's is PyGreSQL ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org