JDBC support

From
"Ray S. Cunningham"
Date:
On your website it states that you offer JDBC support ...

PostgreSQL offers a multitude of connections and interfaces, including ODBC,
JDBC, C/C++, Perl, PHP, Python, Tcl, and others. It also supports a wide
variety of operating systems, including Linux, xBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX,
Irix, NextStep, Windows NT/2000 and more.
I could not locate the JDBC driver in the download area of your website.
All I see is the ODBC driver.  When you say you offer a JDBC connection
interface, do you mean only JDBC-ODBC bridge?  If so, when will you offer a
native JDBC driver?  Thanks.
- Ray Cunningham

Re: JDBC support

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> On your website it states that you offer JDBC support ...

Right.

> I could not locate the JDBC driver in the download area of your website.
> All I see is the ODBC driver.  When you say you offer a JDBC connection
> interface, do you mean only JDBC-ODBC bridge?  If so, when will you offer a
> native JDBC driver?  Thanks.

We have a native JDBC driver. It is included in the distribution
tarball, in RPM and other packages, and is also available from Peter
Mount's web site (cross referenced from the Postgres website). The
latter will have more frequent releases than that of Postgres itself
(Peter is the principal author of the package).

I'm not finding the package cross references on our newly redesigned web
site. Vince? I recall you saying something about this just recently, but
my mind is a clean slate ;)
                    - Thomas

Re: JDBC support

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > On your website it states that you offer JDBC support ...
>
> Right.
>
> > I could not locate the JDBC driver in the download area of your website.
> > All I see is the ODBC driver.  When you say you offer a JDBC connection
> > interface, do you mean only JDBC-ODBC bridge?  If so, when will you offer a
> > native JDBC driver?  Thanks.
>
> We have a native JDBC driver. It is included in the distribution
> tarball, in RPM and other packages, and is also available from Peter
> Mount's web site (cross referenced from the Postgres website). The
> latter will have more frequent releases than that of Postgres itself
> (Peter is the principal author of the package).
>
> I'm not finding the package cross references on our newly redesigned web
> site. Vince? I recall you saying something about this just recently, but
> my mind is a clean slate ;)

My fault.  Somehow I had the url to interfaces pointing to projects
instead.  The JDBC link and some other java stuff is in the users-lounge
at Interfacing to PostgreSQL.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

RE: JDBC support

From
Peter Mount
Date:
The sources are in the main source tree (src/interfaces/jdbc).

Historically, I've kept pre-compiled binaries (in jar format) on my web
site:

http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support Officer, Maidstone Borough Council

On your website it states that you offer JDBC support ...

PostgreSQL offers a multitude of connections and interfaces, including ODBC,
JDBC, C/C++, Perl, PHP, Python, Tcl, and others. It also supports a wide
variety of operating systems, including Linux, xBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX,
Irix, NextStep, Windows NT/2000 and more.
I could not locate the JDBC driver in the download area of your website.
All I see is the ODBC driver.  When you say you offer a JDBC connection
interface, do you mean only JDBC-ODBC bridge?  If so, when will you offer a
native JDBC driver?  Thanks.
- Ray Cunningham

Re: JDBC support

From
Gunnar R|nning
Date:

> > I could not locate the JDBC driver in the download area of your website.
> > All I see is the ODBC driver.  When you say you offer a JDBC connection
> > interface, do you mean only JDBC-ODBC bridge?  If so, when will you offer a
> > native JDBC driver?  Thanks.
>
> We have a native JDBC driver. It is included in the distribution

Strictly speaking in JDBC terms the JDBC driver supplied with PostgreSQL is
not native. A JDBC native driver would have been implemented using C/C++
native code. The portable all Java driver supplied with PostgreSQL is a
more robust and reliable solution than most drivers relying on native
code...

regards,
Gunnar

RE: JDBC support

From
Peter Mount
Date:
 It's native as in it's native to postgresql.

However in Java/JDBC terms, it's a Type 4 driver. This means its written in
pure java and uses the databases own network protocol for communication - it
doesn't use a middle tier (like the openlink driver does).

Peter