RE: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

From
Peter Mount
Date:
The jar file isn't built automatically in 7.0. You'll have to use:
make jdbc2 jar

The reason for this is partly on how make works, and partly because of
the kludge we have for handling the different API versions (like
JDBC1.1, JDBC2 etc)

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Lockhart [mailto:lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 4:27 AM
To: Lamar Owen
Cc: Bruce Momjian; PostgreSQL-development; PostgreSQL-interfaces
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

> If so, I need them (Java 1 and 2) for the RPM's.  I don't do Java --
and
> the RPM's have historically packaged the .jar files as pulled verbatim
> from retep.org.uk.  I haven't distributed RC2 RPM's yet for partially
> that reason

"I don't do Java" can change fairly easily; just pick up the java
tarball from blackdown.org or sun.com, untar it into /usr/local, then
set your path via
 set path=(/usr/local/jdk-xxx $path)

Go into src/interfaces/jdbc and type
 make jdbc2

then grab the jar file(s).

otoh, how close are you Peter (hope you see this; I've blown away
enough email to have lost your address) to posting a built jar file or
whatever is usually provided? Should we post this somewhere on
postgresql.org to help out? Should I post my recently built stuff?

> NOTE:
> I have gotten good response and patches to the RPM's from a number of
> people this go around -- and it is ENCOURAGING!

Great!
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Date:
> The jar file isn't built automatically in 7.0. You'll have to use:
>
>     make jdbc2 jar
>
> The reason for this is partly on how make works, and partly because of
> the kludge we have for handling the different API versions (like
> JDBC1.1, JDBC2 etc)

Oops, my book says it will generate a postgresql.jar file.  If it isn't
going to that, I will have to change my book.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> The jar file isn't built automatically in 7.0. You'll have to use:
>         make jdbc2 jar

?? From fresh sources afaik:

[postgres@golem jdbc]$ make jdbc2 jar
(echo "package org.postgresql;" ;\echo "public class DriverClass {" ;\echo "public static String
connectClass=\"org.postgresql.jdbc2.Connection\";" ;\echo "}" \
) >org/postgresql/DriverClass.java
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/postgres/pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc'
javac -g org/postgresql/DriverClass.java
javac -g org/postgresql/jdbc2/CallableStatement.java
Note: org/postgresql/jdbc2/CallableStatement.java uses or overrides a
deprecated API.  Recompile with "-deprecation" for details.
1 warning
jar -c0f postgresql.jar `find org/postgresql -name "*.class" -print` \       org/postgresql/errors.properties
org/postgresql/errors_fr.properties
org/postgresql/errors_nl.properties
The JDBC driver has now been built. To make it available to
To build the CORBA example (requires Java2): make corba

make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/postgres/pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc'
make: *** No rule to make target `jar'.  Stop.

Seems a jar file does get built with "make jdbc2", but I'm not sure it
is the right one (being *much* more advanced than Lamar in the Java
world, I *make* Java, but don't actually *use* Java :)) ;)

As an aside, I thought Peter might find it interesting that we do have
a fairly large Java app at my work (JPL) to manage and build
configurations for a fancy hard real-time system for astronomical
optical interferometers. The app happens to use Postgres as a backend
for most deliveries ;) Keck Observatory will need it working with
Sybase since they long ago standardized on that...
                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California