psql ERROR : Character Types Tuple is too big: size xxxxx

From
Compte utilisateur Sultan-advl
Date:
Hi,

From Bruce online book :
"There are synonyms for the terms table, row, and column. Table is more
formally referred to as a relation or class, row as record or tuple, and column
as field or attribute.
"
====
8Kb limit apply to :
'tuple' when insert ?
'tuple' in design stage (what's append with fixe types) ?
column (Case of fixe types) ???

What's wrong ?
- Design database
- Postgresql limit
Can't find informations on documentation and mail archive's obscure on 8Kb
limit.

Thanks fo help.
Emmanuel DISCORS
http://www.advl.org/kiwi/
===================
Error under psql interface :

A) The tuple in the 'insert' is < 8K but the tuple in table
description is > 8Kb

newkiwi=> insert into localisation values ('999', 'ee', 'ff', '999', 'gg',
'hh', 'ii', 'jj', '999'); ERROR:  Tuple is too big: size 12356
newkiwi=> \d localisation
Table    = localisation
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                | Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| id_loc                           | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| voie_loc                         | char()                           |  2048 |
| codebat_loc                      | char()                           |  2048 |
| idplan_loc                       | int4                             |     4 |
| xplan_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
| yplan_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
| acces_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
| accesen_loc                      | char()                           |  2048 |
| id_ville_loc                     | int4                             |     4 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
Indices:  localisation_pkey
          localisationi1
          localisationi2
          localisationi3

B) The tuple in the 'insert' is < 8K and the tuple in table
description is < 8Kb

newkiwi=> insert into localisation values ('999', 'ee', 'ff', '999', 'gg', 'hh', 'ii', 'jj', '999');
INSERT 62016 1
newkiwi=> insert into localisation values ('999', 'ee', 'ff', '999', 'gg', 'hh', 'ii', 'jj', '999');
ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into a unique index
newkiwi=> insert into localisation values ('9998', 'ee', 'ff', '999', 'gg', 'hh', 'ii', 'jj', '999');
INSERT 62018 1
newkiwi=> \d localisation
Table    = localisation
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                | Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| id_loc                           | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| voie_loc                         | char()                           |  1024 |
| codebat_loc                      | char()                           |  1024 |
| idplan_loc                       | int4                             |     4 |
| xplan_loc                        | char()                           |  1024 |
| yplan_loc                        | char()                           |  1024 |
| acces_loc                        | char()                           |  1024 |
| accesen_loc                      | char()                           |  1024 |
| id_ville_loc                     | int4                             |     4 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
Indices:  localisation_pkey
          localisationi1
          localisationi2
          localisationi3

Compte utilisateur Sultan-advl <webmaster@advl.org> writes:
> newkiwi=> insert into localisation values ('999', 'ee', 'ff', '999', 'gg',
> 'hh', 'ii', 'jj', '999');
> ERROR:  Tuple is too big: size 12356
> newkiwi=> \d localisation
> Table    = localisation
> +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
> |              Field               |              Type                | Length|
> +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
> | id_loc                           | int4 not null                    |     4 |
> | voie_loc                         | char()                           |  2048 |
> | codebat_loc                      | char()                           |  2048 |
> | idplan_loc                       | int4                             |     4 |
> | xplan_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
> | yplan_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
> | acces_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
> | accesen_loc                      | char()                           |  2048 |
> | id_ville_loc                     | int4                             |     4 |
> +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

Well, you've got six fixed-size 2K fields, which are going to take up
12K all by themselves, plus there's a few dozen bytes of overhead.

I'd suggest using varchar or text instead of char --- do you really
need 12K of blank-padding in every record?

            regards, tom lane

and on top of that, why insert character strings into columns expecting
numeric values?

defintely use VARCHAR unless you are going to be filling those columns up

-duck

> Compte utilisateur Sultan-advl <webmaster@advl.org> writes:
> > newkiwi=> insert into localisation values ('999', 'ee', 'ff', '999', 'gg',
> > 'hh', 'ii', 'jj', '999');
> > ERROR:  Tuple is too big: size 12356
> > newkiwi=> \d localisation
> > Table    = localisation
> > +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
> > |              Field               |              Type                | Length|
> > +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
> > | id_loc                           | int4 not null                    |     4 |
> > | voie_loc                         | char()                           |  2048 |
> > | codebat_loc                      | char()                           |  2048 |
> > | idplan_loc                       | int4                             |     4 |
> > | xplan_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
> > | yplan_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
> > | acces_loc                        | char()                           |  2048 |
> > | accesen_loc                      | char()                           |  2048 |
> > | id_ville_loc                     | int4                             |     4 |
> > +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
>
> Well, you've got six fixed-size 2K fields, which are going to take up
> 12K all by themselves, plus there's a few dozen bytes of overhead.
>
> I'd suggest using varchar or text instead of char --- do you really
> need 12K of blank-padding in every record?
>
>             regards, tom lane
>
> ************

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: [INTERFACES] psql ERROR : Character Types Tuple is too big: size xxxxx

From
Compte utilisateur Sultan-advl
Date:
Hi,
Just to see if psql raise an error message ;-)
Emmanuel.

Le ven, 14 jan 2000, D. Duccini a �crit :