PgAccess

From
Andrei Cenja
Date:
I've just installed PgAccess for Windows (w95), and I'm connected to a
Samba server on a Linux box (RHL 6.0), which also runs PostgreSQL 6.4.2

I've previously installed Tcl/Tk 8.0.4 for windows, and I followed the
steps recommended for installing PgAccess in that configuration.

My computer is a dual (W95/Linux) machine, and from Linux I can easily
connect to the other machine (which hosts the pgsql server) with psql.

However, when I try to connect from w95 using PgAccess, using the same
options (host,database,user,pwd) as when using psql, it gives an error
message:

"PostgreSQL error message:Connection to the database failed
User authentication failed"

Why does that happen, since I use the same options I use from Linux ?

Andrei Cenja, Bucharest, Romania.

Re: [INTERFACES] PgAccess

From
Constantin Teodorescu
Date:
Andrei Cenja wrote:

> I've just installed PgAccess for Windows (w95), and I'm connected to a
> Samba server on a Linux box (RHL 6.0), which also runs PostgreSQL 6.4.2
>
> I've previously installed Tcl/Tk 8.0.4 for windows, and I followed the
> steps recommended for installing PgAccess in that configuration.
>
> My computer is a dual (W95/Linux) machine, and from Linux I can easily
> connect to the other machine (which hosts the pgsql server) with psql.
>
> However, when I try to connect from w95 using PgAccess, using the same
> options (host,database,user,pwd) as when using psql, it gives an error
> message:
>
> "PostgreSQL error message:Connection to the database failed
> User authentication failed"
>
> Why does that happen, since I use the same options I use from Linux ?
> Andrei Cenja, Bucharest, Romania.

Seems pretty strange for two romanians speaking english on the
PostgreSQL interfaces list in order to help each other :-) but ...

If everything is ok (match for PostgreSQL backend + Tcl/Tk version +
DLL's) then my first thought is :

do you have the same IP address on the win95 as for Linux?

Second idea: give full access for the whole class with trust to all
databases on the PostgreSQL server in order to check if it works!

Then ... (write directly to me teo@flex.ro) :-)

Best regards,
Teo

Re: [INTERFACES] PgAccess

From
Jim Wise
Date:

Re: [INTERFACES] PgAccess

From
Constantin Teodorescu
Jim Wise wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Constantin Teodorescu wrote:
>
> >> Why does that happen, since I use the same options I use from Linux ?
> >> Andrei Cenja, Bucharest, Romania.
> >
> >Seems pretty strange for two romanians speaking english on the
> >PostgreSQL interfaces list in order to help each other :-) but ...
>
> De ce?  E mai bizarre decut un respons de un American in Romaneste?  :-)

:-))))) Foarte bine Jim, ai nevoie de antrenament !
(Very good Jim, you need practice)
> >do you have the same IP address on the win95 as for Linux?
> >
> >Second idea: give full access for the whole class with trust to all
> >databases on the PostgreSQL server in order to check if it works!
> Also, it wan't clear from your original message, but can you connect
> from pgaccess under Linux? (you mention psql working fine.)

Yes, the Linux version on the same computer works fine (psql and
PgAccess)

After some messages, Andrei discovered that he set up Windows to get
automatically the IP adress from the DHCP daemon on Linux.
Now he put the IP address manually the same as on Linux and PgAccess
under win32 works fine for him now!

Best regards,
Teo