ECPG and FETCH

From
Tim Kane
Date:
First of all, ECPG doesn't seem to recognise the FETCH command at all,
returning with Syntax Error (see below).

Secondly, are there any postgres specific Embedded SQL docs around
'anywhere'?
I've already have a few difficulties with subtle differences between
different precompiler syntax, and it's becoming frustrating.

Thanks for any help!

Tim.

eg:

EXEC SQL DECLARE rowcur CURSOR FOR          SELECT prod_id, name, format          FROM products          WHERE name
like'%ABC%';

EXEC SQL OPEN rowcur;

for (i=0; i<5; i++)
{  EXEC SQL FETCH rowcur INTO :prod_id, :title, :format;  // Do something.
}

Re: [INTERFACES] ECPG and FETCH

From
Ivo Simicevic
Date:
On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 06:24:51PM +1100, Tim Kane wrote:
>    EXEC SQL FETCH rowcur INTO :prod_id, :title, :format;

Try EXEC SQL FETCH IN rowcur ...

Ivo.

Re: [INTERFACES] ECPG and FETCH

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Secondly, are there any postgres specific Embedded SQL docs around
> 'anywhere'?
> I've already have a few difficulties with subtle differences between
> different precompiler syntax, and it's becoming frustrating.

That's one of the holes in our documentation. If you get inspired to
write, we would welcome a contribution of any sort (including just
your notes on syntax as you learn to use the preprocessor). Our doc
sources are in sgml, but if you want to just write flat files I'll
convert it for you...
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [INTERFACES] ECPG and FETCH

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 06:24:51PM +1100, Tim Kane wrote:
> First of all, ECPG doesn't seem to recognise the FETCH command at all,
> returning with Syntax Error (see below).

FETCH IN should work as well as FETCH FROM. I think this is what standard
says. I once tried to add FETCH without IN but got some shift/reduce
conflicts. I haven't looked into it for quite some time, so maybe I can add
a compatibility rule. But don't bet on it.

> Secondly, are there any postgres specific Embedded SQL docs around
> 'anywhere'?

Unfortunately not much. But there are some (5 to be precise) demo files in
the source tree.

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!