Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application

From
"Wenhao Meng"
Hello:

I am developing an application using VDK which is C++ wraper over gtk+. Can
someone tell me if I can use PostgreSQL in this application. Is there
PostgreSQL++ for C++?

Regards,
Wenhao

Re: [INTERFACES] Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
thre is a libpq++ that is installed by default as long as -disable-CXX
wasn't used to configure ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Wenhao Meng wrote:

> I am developing an application using VDK which is C++ wraper over gtk+. Can
> someone tell me if I can use PostgreSQL in this application. Is there
> PostgreSQL++ for C++?

Yes, it's called libpq++.  Take a look at the Programmer's Manual in
Chapter 17.

Brett W. McCoy                                                   http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it."    -- Alex Schure

Re: [INTERFACES] Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Wenhao Meng wrote:

> I am developing an application using VDK which is C++ wraper over gtk+. Can
> someone tell me if I can use PostgreSQL in this application. Is there
> PostgreSQL++ for C++?

Wenhao,
 The short answer to your question is "yes and no." The slighly longer
answer is learning how a database application goes together.
 There are three major components to a database application. From the top
down they are:
 1.) The user interface (UI). In your case, you are using gtk+.
 2.) The middleware. This is the glue which connects the UI to the database
engine. In your case it's C++.
 3.) The database engine. This is where postgres resides. It is the back
end of your application and works with almost any front end and middleware.
 Plan your application so that each component is handled separately. You
can develop the postgres back end and the UI front end completely
independently of each other. Your middleware (C++ for you, C for me) is the
glue which connects the two.

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
                      Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)             Making environmentally-responsible mining
happen.(SM)                               --------------------------------           2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale,
OR97060-1247 | U.S.A.+ 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard@appl-ecosys.com

Re: [INTERFACES] Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 09:23:09AM -0400, Wenhao Meng wrote:
> I am developing an application using VDK which is C++ wraper over gtk+. Can
> someone tell me if I can use PostgreSQL in this application. Is there
> PostgreSQL++ for C++?

I wonder how or if ecpg is suitable for C++ code.

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!

Re: [INTERFACES] Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application

From
Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia
Date:
I do not have experience in C++ but I feel very confortble with C. I´m
using Libpq to make WWW applications but now I have to write an application
for Windows!!

Most user interfaces are in C++ (MFC and Qt), so can I mix C++ (MFC or Qt)
with C functions (maybe Libpq and my own functions)??? Could you give-me
samples???

Thank you???