Access 2000

From
Michael Doyle
Date:
I need help with Access 2000 and PostgreSQL...

I have several databases running on my server (It's a FreeBSD server
running Postgress 6.4) and Access 95 had no trouble acting as a
front end to these databases

However, I cannot create new Access 2000 databases to see either new
or old databases on the server.

Curiously, upgrading the Access 95 databases to Access 2000 lets them
continue to see the linked tables.

Something strange is going on with Access 2000 and ODBC interfaces.
Any ideas on how to resolve this ?

<>< ============================================================ ><>
Michael Doyle                    email: relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie
Network Administrator            personal email:    relyod@indigo.ie
Co-operation Ireland      http://www.co-operation-ireland.ie/
Phone: +353-1-661 0588                          Fax: +353-1-661 8456

Re: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From
Byron Nikolaidis

Michael Doyle wrote:

> I need help with Access 2000 and PostgreSQL...
>
> I have several databases running on my server (It's a FreeBSD server
> running Postgress 6.4) and Access 95 had no trouble acting as a
> front end to these databases
>
> However, I cannot create new Access 2000 databases to see either new
> or old databases on the server.
>
> Curiously, upgrading the Access 95 databases to Access 2000 lets them
> continue to see the linked tables.
>
> Something strange is going on with Access 2000 and ODBC interfaces.
> Any ideas on how to resolve this ?

Do you see any error messages, either on screen or in any of the logfiles?

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From
Moray McConnachie
Date:
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:16:38 -0400 Byron Nikolaidis
<byronn@solipsys.com> wrote:

> Michael Doyle wrote:
>
> > I need help with Access 2000 and PostgreSQL...
> >
> > I have several databases running on my server (It's a FreeBSD server
> > running Postgress 6.4) and Access 95 had no trouble acting as a
> > front end to these databases
> >
> > However, I cannot create new Access 2000 databases to see either new
> > or old databases on the server.
> >
> > Curiously, upgrading the Access 95 databases to Access 2000 lets them
> > continue to see the linked tables.
> >
> > Something strange is going on with Access 2000 and ODBC interfaces.
> > Any ideas on how to resolve this ?
> >

> Do you see any error messages, either on screen or in any of the logfiles?

Michael's problem is basically the same as I posted a few
weeks back, and others have contacted me about it since. It
appears to leave no error messages, but frankly I've given
up and have no longer been looking.

Some have said that all 3rd party ODBC drivers have had to
be rewritten to co-operate with Access 2000's
implementatation of ODBC, which is hardly brilliant!

I put in a bug report to Microsoft, but so far no response.

----------------------
Moray.McConnachie@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk

Re: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From
Byron Nikolaidis

Moray McConnachie wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:16:38 -0400 Byron Nikolaidis
> <byronn@solipsys.com> wrote:
>

> > Michael Doyle wrote:
> >
> > > I need help with Access 2000 and PostgreSQL...
> > >
> > > I have several databases running on my server (It's a FreeBSD server
> > > running Postgress 6.4) and Access 95 had no trouble acting as a
> > > front end to these databases
> > >
> > > However, I cannot create new Access 2000 databases to see either new
> > > or old databases on the server.
> > >
> > > Curiously, upgrading the Access 95 databases to Access 2000 lets them
> > > continue to see the linked tables.
> > >
> > > Something strange is going on with Access 2000 and ODBC interfaces.
> > > Any ideas on how to resolve this ?
> > >

> > Do you see any error messages, either on screen or in any of the logfiles?
>
> Michael's problem is basically the same as I posted a few
> weeks back, and others have contacted me about it since. It
> appears to leave no error messages, but frankly I've given
> up and have no longer been looking.
>
> Some have said that all 3rd party ODBC drivers have had to
> be rewritten to co-operate with Access 2000's
> implementatation of ODBC, which is hardly brilliant!
>
> I put in a bug report to Microsoft, but so far no response.
>
> ----------------------
> Moray.McConnachie@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk

It figures.  Unfortunately, I really don't have the money to go out and buy
Access 2000, just to try and figure out what's different.

The real problem is that the ODBC spec is so overloaded and fat.  Its verbose,
and yet there are so many variations for getting at data, that it is actually
very difficult to make sure that every possible contingency is correct in the
driver.

And that was just odbc version 2.x.  ODBC Version 3.x is a real heart-warmer!
And I can't wait to see what version 4.x might bring!!!   Of course, they all
have to be backward-compatible with odbc version 1.0  ;)

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From
Michael Doyle
Date:
At 12:16 23/08/99 -0400, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

>Do you see any error messages, either on screen or in any of the logfiles?
>
>Byron

Byron,

In the log files I see access issues the following:query 'SELECT Config, nValue from MSysConf'

to which the server responds'ERROR: msysconf: Table does not exist.'

In other words, Access seems to be looking for a configuration table
which PostgreSQL does not have. When it can't find it, Access then
refuses to do any more.

The strange thing is that access will import, but not display the contents
of the table.

Mike

<>< ============================================================ ><>
Michael Doyle                    email: relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie
Network Administrator            personal email:    relyod@indigo.ie
Co-operation Ireland      http://www.co-operation-ireland.ie/
Phone: +353-1-661 0588                          Fax: +353-1-661 8456

Re: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From
Michael Doyle
Date:
In my case, a useable (but pain in the nexk) work around seems to be to
create a database in Access95 linked to the appropriate table
and then "import" that database to Access 2000

This allows Access 2000 to view/update records.

It's still an ugly kludge.

<>< ============================================================ ><>

Michael Doyle wrote:

> At 12:16 23/08/99 -0400, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:
> >
> >Do you see any error messages, either on screen or in any of the logfiles?
> >
> >Byron
>
> Byron,
>
> In the log files I see access issues the following:
>         query 'SELECT Config, nValue from MSysConf'
>
> to which the server responds
>         'ERROR: msysconf: Table does not exist.'
>
> In other words, Access seems to be looking for a configuration table
> which PostgreSQL does not have. When it can't find it, Access then
> refuses to do any more.

This is normal and has always been there.  It is an optional file to configure
some things in Access.

Can you attach both the psqlodbc.log and sql.log files?  There might be a
subtle thing in how it gets the tables.

Byron

RE: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From
"Hiroki Kataoka"
Date:
I have a solution of this Access2000 problem. This was reported by J.Baba,
he is member of japanese PostgreSQL ML.

Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Moray McConnachie wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:16:38 -0400 Byron Nikolaidis
> > <byronn@solipsys.com> wrote:

> lets them

> > > Do you see any error messages, either on screen or in any of
> the logfiles?
> >
> > Michael's problem is basically the same as I posted a few
> > weeks back, and others have contacted me about it since. It
> > appears to leave no error messages, but frankly I've given
> > up and have no longer been looking.
> >
> > Some have said that all 3rd party ODBC drivers have had to
> > be rewritten to co-operate with Access 2000's
> > implementatation of ODBC, which is hardly brilliant!
> >
> > I put in a bug report to Microsoft, but so far no response.
> >
> > ----------------------
> > Moray.McConnachie@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
>
> It figures.  Unfortunately, I really don't have the money to go
> out and buy
> Access 2000, just to try and figure out what's different.

(snip)

If SQL_ORDER_BY_COLUMNS_IN_SELECT is "Y" in SQLGetInfo, then Access2000 fail
to link ODBC tables. For verification, I modified PsqlODBC source, compiled
it, and tried to use with Access2000. This try has been done successfully.

% diff info.c.orig info.c
421c421
<               p = "Y";
---
>               p = (PROTOCOL_62(ci) || PROTOCOL_63(ci)) ? "Y" : "N";

This solution was got by comparison of SQL.LOG between some ODBC
drivers(ORACLE, Informix, MSSQL and PsqlODBC). There is no other grounds. I
don't know why this is good.

=====
Hiroki Kataoka

RE: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From
Moray McConnachie
Date:
This is great. Unfortunately I don't do any compiling work
on the Win platform - could someone send me a recompiled
version of the relevant dll, by any chance?

Alternatively, I note that someone mentioned ODBC driver
6.40.00007 (or whatever) - does anyone know

a) where I can get this
b) if it includes the tweak for Access

Thanks,
Moray