Piotr Stelmaszyk
Date:
hi,

i'm trying to drop table in plpgsql trigger.
the problem is that table name depends on ID of object
that is to be removed.

so:
<cut>
declare t text;
begin t := 'objects' || trim(OLD.id); drop table t;
end
</cut>

psql prints error:
<cut>
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "$1"
</cut>

what may be the problem? what does it mean "$1"? i don't have
any function arguments.

any ideas? thanx.

/--------------------------------------------------------/
/- Piotr Stelmaszyk |---- Student of Computer Science ---/
/------------------ | at Poznan University of Technology /
/----- mailto:kelman@fanthom.math.put.poznan.pl ---------/
/----- mailto:kelman@alpha.net.pl -----------------------/
/--------------------------------------------------------/

Re:

From
Herouth Maoz
Date:
At 18:49 +0300 on 07/06/1999, Piotr Stelmaszyk wrote:

> what may be the problem? what does it mean "$1"? i don't have
> any function arguments.
>
> any ideas? thanx.

The problem is that the parameter passed to "drop table" should not be a
string but a table. You don't write
  DROP TABLE 'my_table',

but
  DROP TABLE my_table.

So you are passing it the wrong kind of object. You should pass a table,
not the name of a table. There is a difference.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma

Re[2]: drop table 'text'

From
Piotr Stelmaszyk
Date:
Monday, June 07, 1999, 6:23:56 PM, you wrote:

HM>    DROP TABLE 'my_table',
HM> but
HM>    DROP TABLE my_table.
thank You
i _do_ understand problem now, but i still don't know the sollution.
How can I drop table which name is evaluated from variable and text?
(in plpgsql of course)

/--------------------------------------------------------/

Date:

Date:

Date:
Monday, June 07, 1999, 6:23:56 PM, you wrote:

HM>    DROP TABLE 'my_table',
HM> but
HM>    DROP TABLE my_table.
thank You
i _do_ understand problem now, but i still don't know the sollution.
How can I drop table which name is evaluated from variable and text?
(in plpgsql of course)

ps. sorry for previous "subjectless" email
/--------------------------------------------------------/
/- Piotr Stelmaszyk |---- Student of Computer Science ---/
/------------------ | at Poznan University of Technology /
/----- mailto:kelman@fanthom.math.put.poznan.pl ---------/
/----- mailto:kelman@alpha.net.pl -----------------------/
/--------------------------------------------------------/

Re: [INTERFACES] Re[2]: drop table 'text'

From
tolik@icomm.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff)
Date:
PS> Monday, June 07, 1999, 6:23:56 PM, you wrote:HM> DROP TABLE 'my_table',HM> butHM> DROP TABLE my_table.PS> thank
YouPS>i _do_ understand problem now, but i still don't know the sollution.PS> How can I drop table which name is
evaluatedfrom variable and text?PS> (in plpgsql of course)

I think there is no solution this problem in 'plpgsql'

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff              Email:       tolik@icomm.ru
Senior programmer

Date:
At 09:31 +0300 on 08/06/1999, Anatoly K. Lasareff wrote:

>  PS> Monday, June 07, 1999, 6:23:56 PM, you wrote:
>  HM> DROP TABLE 'my_table',
>  HM> but
>  HM> DROP TABLE my_table.
>  PS> thank You
>  PS> i _do_ understand problem now, but i still don't know the sollution.
>  PS> How can I drop table which name is evaluated from variable and text?
>  PS> (in plpgsql of course)
>
> I think there is no solution this problem in 'plpgsql'

Neither do I. I think you will have to write in C or in pl/pgtcl. Either
that, or have a big conditional that maps all possible combinations.

Herouth