PostODBC/MS ADO

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi,

This message is mainly intended for Byron (for obvious reasons) but any
suggestions would be helpful.

I'm starting to use MS ADO under VB6 for the continuing development of
pgAdmin to allow the use of some of it's new controls like the DataRepeater.
I can create recordsets from the data source quite successfully, but if I
try to update them, I invariably get an error along the lines of
'Insufficient base table information for updating or refreshing'.

The attached commlog does show a number of conn errors - do I have a setting
wrong somewhere or does the driver really not support an option that is
required for ADO?

On another note Byron, is there any chance of you adding an option to select
the old style commlog (single file instead of 1 per session). It's
frustrating during development when I have to hunt through the 15 or so
files already created in a morning to find the one I want!!

Thanks in advance,

Dave

--
Dave Page, Network & Systems Manager, The Vale Housing Association Ltd.
dpage@vale-housing.co.uk

Attachment

Re: [INTERFACES] PostODBC/MS ADO

From
Gerald Gryschuk
Dave Page wrote:

> On another note Byron, is there any chance of you adding an option to select
> the old style commlog (single file instead of 1 per session). It's
> frustrating during development when I have to hunt through the 15 or so
> files already created in a morning to find the one I want!!

I understand where your coming from, and I thought when I made this
change that I was doing good, but all the different logs do get
confusing when you just starting up and shutting down a connection.

Since it was my doing I should probably try to add the option you ask
for, but I'm swamped with real work right now so hopefully Brian can
take a shot at it.
--
Gerald Gryschuk(ggryschuk@scf.sk.ca)
Programmer Analyst

Re: [INTERFACES] PostODBC/MS ADO

From
Byron Nikolaidis

Dave Page wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This message is mainly intended for Byron (for obvious reasons) but any
> suggestions would be helpful.
>
> I'm starting to use MS ADO under VB6 for the continuing development of
> pgAdmin to allow the use of some of it's new controls like the DataRepeater.
> I can create recordsets from the data source quite successfully, but if I
> try to update them, I invariably get an error along the lines of
> 'Insufficient base table information for updating or refreshing'.

> The attached commlog does show a number of conn errors - do I have a setting
> wrong somewhere or does the driver really not support an option that is
> required for ADO?

Yes, there are several areas the driver does not support.  However, I have been in the
middle of *EXTENSIVE* additions to the driver.  These include,  Multi row-wise and
column-wise binding support (instead of just 1 column-wise binding), with extensive work on
SQLExtendedFetch.  This is one area that was erroring out in the log you sent me.  I am
also redoing the way options are set and retrieved for SQLSetStmtOption and
SQLSetConnectOption.  This should help you out also.

> On another note Byron, is there any chance of you adding an option to select
> the old style commlog (single file instead of 1 per session). It's
> frustrating during development when I have to hunt through the 15 or so
> files already created in a morning to find the one I want!!

I felt the same way at first.  But it is useful, because even in Windows, applications were
writing all over each other's log files.  If you sort by date in Explorer and do a refresh
before you look at the log files, the latest one will be right at the top of the list.  I
don't know if that is useful to you or not.

Byron

RE: [INTERFACES] PostODBC/MS ADO

From
"Dave Page"

<SNIP>

Thats great, hopefully it will solve my problems.

> I felt the same way at first.  But it is useful, because even
> in Windows, applications were
> writing all over each other's log files.  If you sort by date
> in Explorer and do a refresh
> before you look at the log files, the latest one will be
> right at the top of the list.  I
> don't know if that is useful to you or not.

Unfortunately, if I'm doing a long debugging session in the VB IDE, I quite
often find that during the session I've used things like pgAdmin and
dbManager (manages system parameters etc for our in house software) a couple
of times so the log for the session running in the debugger ends up in the
middle of the list somewhere as it's no longer the latest. This is mainly
because VB has the useful feature of being able to stop, start, debug AND
rewrite code whilst it is running which of course most other development
packages can't do :-(

I can see both sides to this argument and can live with it if it's a
problem...

Regards,

Dave.