JDBC compile error

From
Pap Tibor
Date:
Hi!

I was unable to compile the JDBC driver in the PostgreSQL 6.3.2 source
tree. I got 21 errors:

./postgresql/DatabaseMetaData.java:2058: class postgresql.ResultSet is an
abstract class. It can't be instantiated.
    return new ResultSet(connection, f, v, "OK", 1);
           ^
./postgresql/DatabaseMetaData.java:2433: class postgresql.ResultSet is an
abstract class. It can't be instantiated.
    return new ResultSet(connection, f, v, "OK", 1);
           ^
21 errors
make: *** [postgresql/CallableStatement.class] Error 1
#

My CLASSPATH environment variable was:
# echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/local/jdk1.1.5/lib/:./
#

My System is Debian Bo 1.3 Linux, jdk1.1.5 v6 libc5 version.

What can I do? Or could I get somewhere a compiled .jar jdbc driver?

Thanks,
--tibi

--
---------.Sig--------
Tibor Pap <papt@edasz.hu>

Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC compile error

From
Peter T Mount
Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Pap Tibor wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was unable to compile the JDBC driver in the PostgreSQL 6.3.2 source
> tree. I got 21 errors:

> ./postgresql/DatabaseMetaData.java:2058: class postgresql.ResultSet is an
> abstract class. It can't be instantiated.
>     return new ResultSet(connection, f, v, "OK", 1);
>            ^
> ./postgresql/DatabaseMetaData.java:2433: class postgresql.ResultSet is an
> abstract class. It can't be instantiated.
>     return new ResultSet(connection, f, v, "OK", 1);
>            ^
> 21 errors
> make: *** [postgresql/CallableStatement.class] Error 1
> #
>
> My CLASSPATH environment variable was:
> # echo $CLASSPATH
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/lib/:./

remove the CLASSPATH with:

# unset CLASSPATH

then run make. These errors are caused by javac getting confused by both
the postgresql and java.sql packages

This is covered in the README and in the faq

http://www.retep.org/postgres

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk

Date:
On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 06:44:17PM +0100, Peter T Mount wrote:
> # unset CLASSPATH
>
> then run make. These errors are caused by javac getting confused by both
> the postgresql and java.sql packages
>
> This is covered in the README and in the faq

Yes, I have read the README, but:

papipc# unset CLASSPATH
papipc# echo $CLASSPATH

papipc#
papipc# make

postgresql/CallableStatement.java:213: Method redefined with different
return type: postgresql.BigDecimal getBigDecimal(int, int) was
java.math.BigDecimal
getBigDecimal(int, int)
  public BigDecimal getBigDecimal(int parameterIndex, int scale)
                    ^
./postgresql/PreparedStatement.java:0: Class java.math.BigDecimal not
found in type declaration.
package postgresql;
^
./postgresql/PreparedStatement.java:27: class postgresql.PreparedStatement
must be declared abstract. It does not define void setBigDecimal(int,
java.math.BigDecimal) from interface java.sql.PreparedStatement.
public class PreparedStatement extends Statement implements
java.sql.PreparedStatement

[...]

./postgresql/DatabaseMetaData.java:2058: class postgresql.ResultSet is an
abstract class. It can't be instantiated.
    return new ResultSet(connection, f, v, "OK", 1);
           ^
./postgresql/DatabaseMetaData.java:2433: class postgresql.ResultSet is an
abstract class. It can't be instantiated.
    return new ResultSet(connection, f, v, "OK", 1);
           ^
21 errors
make: *** [postgresql/CallableStatement.class] Error 1

So, I got the same errors!

--Tibor

--
---------.Sig--------
Tibor Pap <papt@edasz.hu>

Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC compile error

From
Cyril Ferrand
Date:
What is your versio of jdk???

Cyril

*    Cyril Ferrand : mailto:cyril.ferrand@sophia.inria.fr            *
*            http://www.mygale.org/05/ironmask                          *

Date:
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Pap Tibor wrote:

> postgresql/CallableStatement.java:213: Method redefined with different
> return type: postgresql.BigDecimal getBigDecimal(int, int) was
> java.math.BigDecimal
> getBigDecimal(int, int)
>   public BigDecimal getBigDecimal(int parameterIndex, int scale)
>                     ^
> ./postgresql/PreparedStatement.java:0: Class java.math.BigDecimal not
> found in type declaration.
> package postgresql;

Ah, I didn't know you had this one.

This is caused by the java.math.BigDecimal class being missing from the
JDK's classes.zip file. The first thing is to check that you have the most
recent release of the JDK (or of the individual version of, ie 1.1.3v1 has
problems, but 1.1.3v2 is ok).

--

Date:
On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 10:38:55AM +0100, Peter T Mount wrote:

> Ah, I didn't know you had this one.
>
> This is caused by the java.math.BigDecimal class being missing from the
> JDK's classes.zip file. The first thing is to check that you have the most
> recent release of the JDK (or of the individual version of, ie 1.1.3v1 has
> problems, but 1.1.3v2 is ok).

Thank you.
My jdk was jdk1.1.5-v5-libc5 for Linux X86. I upgraded the jdk to
1.1.6-v2, and dhe driver was compiled succesfully.

Thanks for your help,
--Tibor

--
Tibor Pap <papt@edasz.hu>