RE: [INTERFACES] What technology ???

From
Rostislav Matl
Date:
On 14-Jul-98 Telephone VdB Foods Ltd wrote:
>      I am in the process of evaluation of all available interfaces for
>      postgres.
>
>      This is in conjunction with web, forms , etc.  The solutions needs to
>      be performing well , with the minimal development.
>
>      The options are combination of   C , perl, CGI , PHP , Jdbc, etc.
>

>      Has any one got a comment about this (Hopefully from you experiences).
>

>      Thanks,
>      Saeid.

Use PHP , make your life easier. :)

|  ROSTISLAV MATL, student of Masaryk University - Faculty of Informatics     |
|  e-mail: xmatl@fi.muni.cz      WWW: http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xmatl/index.html |

RE: [INTERFACES] What technology ???

From
Lorenzo Huerta
Date:
well there is some stuff that those languages can do (more efficiently
speaking of course) with postgres that php can't do.

lorenzo (sorry putting my 2 cents in)

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Rostislav Matl wrote:

> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:33:58 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Rostislav Matl <xmatl@informatics.muni.cz>
> To: pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] What technology ???
>

> On 14-Jul-98 Telephone VdB Foods Ltd wrote:
> >      I am in the process of evaluation of all available interfaces for
> >      postgres.
> >
> >      This is in conjunction with web, forms , etc.  The solutions needs to
> >      be performing well , with the minimal development.
> >
> >      The options are combination of   C , perl, CGI , PHP , Jdbc, etc.
> >

> >      Has any one got a comment about this (Hopefully from you experiences).
> >

> >      Thanks,
> >      Saeid.
>

> Use PHP , make your life easier. :)
>
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |  ROSTISLAV MATL, student of Masaryk University - Faculty of Informatics     |
> |  e-mail: xmatl@fi.muni.cz      WWW: http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xmatl/index.html |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

     *  Lorenzo J. Huerta                                             *
     *  Programming Assistant                                         *
     *  Computing & Networking Networking Architecture and Operations *
     *  New Mexico State University                                   *
     *  phone: (w)(505)646-2582 (h)(505) 521-8699 fax:(505) 646-8139  *
     *  e-mail: lorenzo@nmsu.edu                                      *
     *  Web Site: http://web.nmsu.edu/~ljhuerta                       *

RE: [INTERFACES] What technology ???

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Rostislav Matl wrote:

> On 14-Jul-98 Telephone VdB Foods Ltd wrote:
> >      I am in the process of evaluation of all available interfaces for
> >      postgres.
> >
> >      This is in conjunction with web, forms , etc.  The solutions needs to
> >      be performing well , with the minimal development.
> >
> >      The options are combination of   C , perl, CGI , PHP , Jdbc, etc.
> >

> >      Has any one got a comment about this (Hopefully from you experiences).
> >

> >      Thanks,
> >      Saeid.
>

> Use PHP , make your life easier. :)

    That is a matter of perspective, actually...I find perl5 plus the
CGI module easier and faster to code in then PHP/FI *shrug*  If you are
already comfortable in Perl, Perl is better...if you aren't, then PHP is
most likely faster to get up to speed with, but doesn't have all the
features you would have in Perl...

RE: [INTERFACES] What technology ???

From
Herouth Maoz
Date:
At 21:31 +0300 on 14/7/98, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>     That is a matter of perspective, actually...I find perl5 plus the
> CGI module easier and faster to code in then PHP/FI *shrug*  If you are
> already comfortable in Perl, Perl is better...if you aren't, then PHP is
> most likely faster to get up to speed with, but doesn't have all the
> features you would have in Perl...

And if you want the server-side application to stay in memory and hold its
database connections alive, I believe CGI is out of the question. In
addition, if your choice of web server is not Apache, a solution which
relies on it is also out of the question. In my case, server-side Java is
probably the answer.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.