Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Fix VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL
>
> lazy_truncate_heap() was waiting for
> VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL, but in microseconds
> not milliseconds as originally intended.

Don't we need to back-patch this?

Fujii Masao

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 7 September 2016 at 13:47, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Fix VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL
>>
>> lazy_truncate_heap() was waiting for
>> VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL, but in microseconds
>> not milliseconds as originally intended.
>
> Don't we need to back-patch this?

If we do then a database-wide VACUUM on a busy database will take
substantially longer than it does now.

That may not be perceived as a "fix" by everybody, so we should not do
it without an explicit agreement by many.

Thoughts?

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL

Date:
> On 7 September 2016 at 13:47, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> lazy_truncate_heap() was waiting for
>>> VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL, but in microseconds
>>> not milliseconds as originally intended.

>> Don't we need to back-patch this?

> If we do then a database-wide VACUUM on a busy database will take
> substantially longer than it does now.

On the other hand, it's also more likely to successfully perform desired
truncations.

> That may not be perceived as a "fix" by everybody, so we should not do
> it without an explicit agreement by many.

Agreed, but I vote with Fujii-san for back-patching.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 7 September 2016 at 14:58, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> That may not be perceived as a "fix" by everybody, so we should not do
>> it without an explicit agreement by many.
>
> Agreed, but I vote with Fujii-san for back-patching.

No problem with backpatching, just wanted some +1s before I did it.

Will do that tomorrow.