Testing Postgresql 9.5 RC1 with Alfresco 5.0.d

From
Boriss Mejias
Date:
Hi there,

The following wiki page:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HowToBetaTest#How_to_Test
suggests that I should send the following report to this mailing list.

Name: Boriss Mejías (Tchorix)

Release: Postgresql 9.5 RC1

Test Type: Compatibility with Alfresco Community Edition 5.0.d

Test Detail: New Alfresco installation with Postgresql 9.5 RC1. Testing updates
into the database.

Platform: CentOS 6.5

Installation Method: Compiled from tarball. Default parameters.

Platform Detail:    - VMWare virtual machine    - RAM: 1GB    - CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @ 2.20GHz    -
Alfrescorunning on a different VM.

Test Procedure:    - Vanilla installation of Alfresco Community Edition 5.0.d    - Using the default jdbc driver
shippedwith Alfresco    - Test that Alfresco Shares works correctly with the basic functionality    - Script with
multipleHTTP REST calls to create/read/delete users. Each

operation/transaction involves several tables.

Failure? No

Test Results:    - Alfresco worked as expected.    - Scripts are run in parallel to expect race conditions. Alfresco
uses

optimistic approach.    - Constraint violations on table-keys are observed in the logs, which is
good, because data remains consistent, and Alfresco handles the error messages
correctly.

Comments:    - I just wrote my own scripts to test the consistency of users data. I'm
not part of Alfresco Inc to use their official test bed    - Alfresco uses Ibatis to control de database model. Hence,
Iwasn't

expecting any failure.    - I don't have control of the table indexes, and I was not able to compare
the test with a previous version of Postgresql to test performance.    - This is the first time I run a test of a
previous-releaseversion of

Postgresql, so any comment of ideas are welcome to contribute again next time.

Cheers
Boriss

Re: Testing Postgresql 9.5 RC1 with Alfresco 5.0.d

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
suggests that I should send the following report to this mailing list.

Thanks for testing.

Do you have any comments on performance testing?

Are there any opportunities to improve Alfresco using the new features in PostgreSQL 9.5?

Thanks

Re: Testing Postgresql 9.5 RC1 with Alfresco 5.0.d

From
Boriss Mejias
Date:
Simon Riggs wrote on 29/12/15 05:31:
[...]
> Thanks for testing.
>
> Do you have any comments on performance testing?

Not really, because I didn't have an equivalent environment to compare. These
tests took exactly the same time as another one with Postgresql 9.3, with a
major different in the setting of the server:

Postgresql 9.5 RC1
1 GB of RAM
1 vCPU Intel
CentOS 6.5

vs

Postgresql 9.3
8 GB of RAM
4 vCPU LPAR
Redhat 6.5 PowerLinux

So, I can't really compare. So, definitely no performance degradation, and
possible a performance gain. But of course, this could all be the fault of Alfresco.

Discussing with the Alfresco community I found a benchmarking test which I'm not
familiar with. I'll make sure to include that test next time I test a
pre-release version of Postgresql, and I'll make sure to have equivalent
environment to test.

> Are there any opportunities to improve Alfresco using the new features in
> PostgreSQL 9.5?

I'm not an Alfresco developer, but I'll try to contact the Alfresco engineers to
discuss this.

> Thanks

You're welcome and I hope next tests will include some performance measurements
a part from just compliance tests.

Cheers
Boriss