"pg_upgrade" cannot write to log file pg_upgrade_internal.log

From
"Yang, Leo"
Date:
server2008.  It will show some wrong information:<p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="background:yellow;mso-highlight:yellow"> </span><pclass="MsoNormal"><span
style="background:yellow;mso-highlight:yellow">cannotwrite to log file pg_upgrade_internal.log</span><p
class="MsoNormal"><spanstyle="background:yellow;mso-highlight:yellow">Failure, exiting</span>.<p class="MsoNormal"> <p
class="MsoNormal">Itseems that the upgrade can be successful on window 7. It seems to be a permissions problem. I get
someinformation about <span style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:black;background:white">
restrictingprivileges</span> from source code, and I find the changes “<span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:black;background:yellow;mso-highlight:yellow">Run<span
class="apple-converted-space"> </span><spanclass="application">pg_upgrade</span><span
class="apple-converted-space"> </span>and<spanclass="apple-converted-space"> </span><span
class="application">pg_resetxlog</span><spanclass="apple-converted-space"> </span>with restricted privileges on
Windows,so that they don't fail when run by an administrator</span><span class="apple-converted-space"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:black;background:white"> (referto <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/release-9-4-2.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/release-9-4-2.html</a>
)</span></span>” for release 9.4.2. Why did you do this? How can I solve this problem? I hope you can help me.<p

Re: "pg_upgrade" cannot write to log file pg_upgrade_internal.log

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Yang, Leo <leo.yang@hp.com> wrote:
> I run “pg_upgrade -xx” fromPostgreSQL8.3 to PostgreSQL9.4.5 on window server
> 2008.  It will show some wrong information:
>
> cannot write to log file pg_upgrade_internal.log
>
> Failure, exiting.
> It seems that the upgrade can be successful on window 7. It seems to be a
> permissions problem. I get some information about restricting privileges
> from source code, and I find the changes “Run pg_upgrade and pg_resetxlog
> with restricted privileges on Windows, so that they don't fail when run by
> an administrator (refer to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/release-9-4-2.html )”  for release
> 9.4.2. Why did you do this?

The original commit regarding the use of restricted permissions is that:
commit: 2366761bf9eb8e9aa3820b9f3491bcfc48b8188f
author: Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:16:57 -0400
Run pg_upgrade and pg_resetxlog with restricted token on Windows

And that's a problem that has been discussed here to correct the fact
that pg_upgrade cannot run with a user that has administrator rights
on Windows:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEB4t-NpXGiP5Bqvv3P+d+x=V4BqE+Awg+G7ennBn8icPXep_g@mail.gmail.com

Note that pg_upgrade_internal.log gets opened *before* the restricted
token is taken for the process running pg_upgrade when the options are
parsed, so it seems hard to believe that your problem and this fix are
related.

> How can I solve this problem? I hope you can help me.

I think that you should first check if the user under which you are
running the upgrade has sufficient permissions to write those log
files. As far as I can see, there is nothing to blame from the code.
--
Michael

Re: "pg_upgrade" cannot write to log file pg_upgrade_internal.log

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Yang, Leo <leo.yang@hp.com> wrote:
>> I run “pg_upgrade -xx” fromPostgreSQL8.3 to PostgreSQL9.4.5 on window server
>> 2008.  It will show some wrong information:
>>
>> cannot write to log file pg_upgrade_internal.log
>>
>> Failure, exiting.

By the way, pgsql-hackers is the mailing list for development where
new features are being discussed. In case of a bug, you had better
send a report to pgsql-bugs if you think you found a bug.
Michael