Minor comment edits in nodeGather.c

From
Amit Langote
Date:
While going through nodeGather.c, I noticed portions of the file header
comment that may have been obsoleted by recent revisions of the relevant
parellelism code. For example, there is a reference to PartialSeqScan node
which did not make it into the tree. Attached fixes it. Also, wondering if
the semantics of Gather node is that of Scan or more generic Plan? That is
to ask whether the following edit makes sense:

  * nodeGather.c
- *      Support routines for scanning a plan via multiple workers.
+ *      Support routines for getting the result from a plan via multiple
+ *      workers.
  *

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment

Re: Minor comment edits in nodeGather.c

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> While going through nodeGather.c, I noticed portions of the file header
> comment that may have been obsoleted by recent revisions of the relevant
> parellelism code. For example, there is a reference to PartialSeqScan node
> which did not make it into the tree. Attached fixes it. Also, wondering if
> the semantics of Gather node is that of Scan or more generic Plan? That is
> to ask whether the following edit makes sense:
>
>   * nodeGather.c
> - *       Support routines for scanning a plan via multiple workers.
> + *       Support routines for getting the result from a plan via multiple
> + *       workers.
>   *

Well I think "scanning a plan" is clear enough even if it's
technically a Scan.  But I agree the second change is needed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> While going through nodeGather.c, I noticed portions of the file header
>> comment that may have been obsoleted by recent revisions of the relevant
>> parellelism code. For example, there is a reference to PartialSeqScan node
>> which did not make it into the tree. Attached fixes it. Also, wondering if
>> the semantics of Gather node is that of Scan or more generic Plan? That is
>> to ask whether the following edit makes sense:
>>
>>   * nodeGather.c
>> - *       Support routines for scanning a plan via multiple workers.
>> + *       Support routines for getting the result from a plan via multiple
>> + *       workers.
>>   *
>
> Well I think "scanning a plan" is clear enough even if it's
> technically a Scan.  But I agree the second change is needed.

Err, even if it's NOT technically a scan.

--

Date:
On 2015/11/25 11:31, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> While going through nodeGather.c, I noticed portions of the file header
>> comment that may have been obsoleted by recent revisions of the relevant
>> parellelism code. For example, there is a reference to PartialSeqScan node
>> which did not make it into the tree. Attached fixes it. Also, wondering if
>> the semantics of Gather node is that of Scan or more generic Plan? That is
>> to ask whether the following edit makes sense:
>>
>>   * nodeGather.c
>> - *       Support routines for scanning a plan via multiple workers.
>> + *       Support routines for getting the result from a plan via multiple
>> + *       workers.
>>   *
>
> Well I think "scanning a plan" is clear enough even if it's
> technically a Scan.

Okay, ripped that out in the attached.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment

Re: Minor comment edits in nodeGather.c

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2015/11/25 11:31, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> While going through nodeGather.c, I noticed portions of the file header
>>> comment that may have been obsoleted by recent revisions of the relevant
>>> parellelism code. For example, there is a reference to PartialSeqScan node
>>> which did not make it into the tree. Attached fixes it. Also, wondering if
>>> the semantics of Gather node is that of Scan or more generic Plan? That is
>>> to ask whether the following edit makes sense:
>>>
>>>   * nodeGather.c
>>> - *       Support routines for scanning a plan via multiple workers.
>>> + *       Support routines for getting the result from a plan via multiple
>>> + *       workers.
>>>   *
>>
>> Well I think "scanning a plan" is clear enough even if it's
>> technically a Scan.
>
> Okay, ripped that out in the attached.

Committed, thanks.

--

Date:
On 2015/12/01 3:06, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> On 2015/11/25 11:31, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I think "scanning a plan" is clear enough even if it's
>>> technically a Scan.
>>
>> Okay, ripped that out in the attached.
>
> Committed, thanks.

Thanks!