Annotating pg_dump/pg_restore

From
Kevin Burke
Date:
Hi,
Normally I try to annotate incoming queries, to make it easier to diagnose slow ones. For example:

-- Users.findByPhoneNumber
SELECT * FROM ....

The pg_dump and pg_restore commands issue a COPY with no possibility of adding a comment. It would be useful to know who or what exactly is performing a COPY against a database - maybe a nightly backup script, maybe a developer copying a table.

I was wondering if you could have a command line flag that let you attach a comment to the query?

Thanks!
Kevin

--
kevin

Re: Annotating pg_dump/pg_restore

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Normally I try to annotate incoming queries, to make it easier to diagnose slow ones. For example:

-- Users.findByPhoneNumber
SELECT * FROM ....

The pg_dump and pg_restore commands issue a COPY with no possibility of adding a comment. It would be useful to know who or what exactly is performing a COPY against a database - maybe a nightly backup script, maybe a developer copying a table.

I was wondering if you could have a command line flag that let you attach a comment to the query?

You already have the application name. You just need to log it.