Anyone working on the TOAST items on the TODO list?

From
Bill Moran
Date:
If not, I'm going to make a little personal project of them for myself
(targeting 9.6).

--
Bill Moran

Re: Anyone working on the TOAST items on the TODO list?

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
> If not, I'm going to make a little personal project of them for myself
> (targeting 9.6).

If you mean those three ones, not that I know of:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#TOAST
--
Michael

Re: Anyone working on the TOAST items on the TODO list?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 07/25/2015 07:05 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

> If not, I'm going to make a little personal project of them for myself
> (targeting 9.6).

Nope.  In fact, even the one which was 90% complete (replacing zlib with
lz4) completely dropped off the radar.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Anyone working on the TOAST items on the TODO list?

From
Bill Moran
Date:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:39:15 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 07/25/2015 07:05 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
> >
> > If not, I'm going to make a little personal project of them for myself
> > (targeting 9.6).
> >

> Nope.  In fact, even the one which was 90% complete (replacing zlib with
> lz4) completely dropped off the radar.

Interesting ... I wasn't looking at doing that, rather adjusting the
decision logic on when to compress, as well as making the trigger values
configurable so as to open the TOAST logic up to easy user configuration
at the DB as well as the table level. I figure this will also need enough
testing to feel like we're shipping with reasonable default values.

I got the impression that this is something that's generally desired (it's
something _I'd_ like to have). If I'm not misunderstanding, then I'll get
started on a proposed patch.

--

Date:
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:39:15 -0700
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Nope.  In fact, even the one which was 90% complete (replacing zlib with
>> lz4) completely dropped off the radar.

> Interesting ... I wasn't looking at doing that, rather adjusting the
> decision logic on when to compress, as well as making the trigger values
> configurable so as to open the TOAST logic up to easy user configuration
> at the DB as well as the table level. I figure this will also need enough
> testing to feel like we're shipping with reasonable default values.

I have a vague feeling that we've accreted some code that has dependencies
on the current TOAST behavior.  Unfortunately it's no more than a vague
feeling so I can't tell you where to look; but it'd be a good idea to look
around and/or test, rather than just assume we can let users frob these
knobs to whatever random settings they feel like.

I don't want to discourage you from the idea of making these things
accessible, just suggesting that there may be more work to do than simply
making them accessible.  There may be a need for fairly strict sanity
checking on the values.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Anyone working on the TOAST items on the TODO list?

From
Bill Moran
Date:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:06:28 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:
> > On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:39:15 -0700
> > Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >> Nope.  In fact, even the one which was 90% complete (replacing zlib with
> >> lz4) completely dropped off the radar.
>
> > Interesting ... I wasn't looking at doing that, rather adjusting the
> > decision logic on when to compress, as well as making the trigger values
> > configurable so as to open the TOAST logic up to easy user configuration
> > at the DB as well as the table level. I figure this will also need enough
> > testing to feel like we're shipping with reasonable default values.
>
> I have a vague feeling that we've accreted some code that has dependencies
> on the current TOAST behavior.  Unfortunately it's no more than a vague
> feeling so I can't tell you where to look; but it'd be a good idea to look
> around and/or test, rather than just assume we can let users frob these
> knobs to whatever random settings they feel like.
>
> I don't want to discourage you from the idea of making these things
> accessible, just suggesting that there may be more work to do than simply
> making them accessible.  There may be a need for fairly strict sanity
> checking on the values.

Good to know. I guess it's a good thing that I'm giving myself a full year to
work on this ...

--

Date:
On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 04:06:28PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:
> > On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:39:15 -0700
> > Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >> Nope.  In fact, even the one which was 90% complete (replacing zlib with
> >> lz4) completely dropped off the radar.
>
> > Interesting ... I wasn't looking at doing that, rather adjusting the
> > decision logic on when to compress, as well as making the trigger values
> > configurable so as to open the TOAST logic up to easy user configuration
> > at the DB as well as the table level. I figure this will also need enough
> > testing to feel like we're shipping with reasonable default values.
>
> I have a vague feeling that we've accreted some code that has dependencies
> on the current TOAST behavior.  Unfortunately it's no more than a vague
> feeling so I can't tell you where to look; but it'd be a good idea to look
> around and/or test, rather than just assume we can let users frob these
> knobs to whatever random settings they feel like.

You might be thinking of pg_upgrade, which _used_ to assume that the old
and new cluster tables had the same TOAST usage status.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +