Minor issue with BRIN regression tests

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
Attached patch adjusts BRIN regression tests to make a non-obvious
dependency on tuple order explicit. Currently, an index-only scan plan
is used by the query that I've adjusted. I'd rather be sure that that
continues.

This was spotted while running the regression tests with the Postgres
default B-Tree fillfactor significantly reduced. There was only one
other failure, but that one was really obvious; in general I wouldn't
bother with "fixing" such things. This, however, seems problematic,
because insertion order matters for the purposes of the test. It's
perhaps implied that the test consistently relies on the stable order
of things within the tenk1 table, but it isn't actually so.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment

Re: Minor issue with BRIN regression tests

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> Attached patch adjusts BRIN regression tests to make a non-obvious
> dependency on tuple order explicit. Currently, an index-only scan plan
> is used by the query that I've adjusted. I'd rather be sure that that
> continues.

Here is another patch, this time removing a useless ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE test.

--

Date:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> Attached patch adjusts BRIN regression tests to make a non-obvious
> dependency on tuple order explicit. Currently, an index-only scan plan
> is used by the query that I've adjusted. I'd rather be sure that that
> continues.

Applied with a correction: the ordering that was being used was really
"ORDER BY thousand, tenthous" because that's the order of the relevant

Date:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> Here is another patch, this time removing a useless ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE test.

Can someone commit this, please?

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Minor issue with BRIN regression tests

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>> Here is another patch, this time removing a useless ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE test.
>
> Can someone commit this, please?

Removing that test doesn't seem important to me.  Why does it seem
important to you?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Removing that test doesn't seem important to me.  Why does it seem
> important to you?

It's a minor issue, but it's easily fixed.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Removing that test doesn't seem important to me.  Why does it seem
>> important to you?
>
> It's a minor issue, but it's easily fixed.

And what, in your opinion, is the issue?

--

Date:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> And what, in your opinion, is the issue?

The test does not match the comment above it. It looks like someone
(possibly me) pasted one too many template queries, that were never
appropriately modified to fit the area under consideration.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And what, in your opinion, is the issue?
>
> The test does not match the comment above it. It looks like someone
> (possibly me) pasted one too many template queries, that were never
> appropriately modified to fit the area under consideration.

OK, now I understand.

--

Date:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote: