INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

From
Geoff Winkless
Date:
torunning some UPSERT tests on the development build, which is very exciting for me :)</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">I'mnot sure if I missed the point with this (probably...): I'm
unclearon the reason why DO UPDATE requires explicitly specifying the constraint while DO NOTHING does not. </div><div
class="gmail_default"style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br /></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">Ifit's a feature of the locking implementation (or something)
thatfor "DO UPDATE" only one index can be used, then so be it.</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">Howeverif it would be possible to allow any conflict to run the
UPDATEclause (in the same way as any conflict triggers DO NOTHING in the alternate form) I would personally find that
verypleasant. </div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br /></div><div
class="gmail_default"style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">You could even then arbitrate on conflicts
inthe UPDATE clause, if you had to, using (say)</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-size:small"><fontface="monospace, monospace">INSERT INTO mytable ... </font></div><div
class="gmail_default"style="font-size:small"><font face="monospace, monospace">ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE
SET </font></div><divclass="gmail_default" style="font-size:small"><font face="monospace, monospace">
col1=CASE </font></div><divclass="gmail_default" style="font-size:small"><font face="monospace, monospace">    WHEN
mytable.uniquefield1=excluded.uniquefield1THEN </font><span
style="font-family:monospace,monospace">targettedvalue1 </span></div><divclass="gmail_default"
style="font-size:small"><fontface="monospace, monospace">    ELSE </font><span
style="font-family:monospace,monospace">mytable.col1 </span></div><divclass="gmail_default"
style="font-size:small"><fontface="monospace, monospace">  END,</font></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-size:small"><fontface="monospace, monospace">  col2=CASE </font></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-size:small"><fontface="monospace, monospace">    WHEN mytable.uniquefield2=excluded.uniquefield2
THEN </font><spanstyle="font-family:monospace,monospace">targettedvalue2 </span></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-size:small"><fontface="monospace, monospace">  ELSE </font><span
style="font-family:monospace,monospace">mytable.col2 </span></div><divclass="gmail_default"
style="font-size:small"><fontface="monospace, monospace">  END;</font></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">Notexactly pretty but workable.</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">Ijust find it slightly upsetting that for (what I would expect
is)the majority use case (when the INSERT would only ever trigger one unique constraint) one must still define the
uniquefields.</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br /></div><div
class="gmail_default"style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">In the event that the INSERT triggers a
constraintthat the UPDATE fails to resolve, it will still fail in exactly the same way that running the ON CONFLICT on
aspecific constraint would fail, so it's not like you gain any extra value from specifying the constraint, is
it?</div><divclass="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br /></div><div
class="gmail_default"style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small">As I said, I probably missed the
point.</div><divclass="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br /></div><div

Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

From
Geoff Winkless
Date:
In the event that the INSERT triggers a constraint that the UPDATE fails to resolve, it will still fail in exactly the same way that running the ON CONFLICT on a specific constraint would fail, so it's not like you gain any extra value from specifying the constraint, is it?

​I don't know why I wrote this paragraph, it's just the product of me thinking of something else at the same time:
 UPDATE obviously doesn't resolve a conflict as such.

Thinking about it more, I suppose if multiple constraints end up triggering for the same INSERT, it would require UPDATEs of multiple rows. Is that the issue?

Geoff

Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
In the event that the INSERT triggers a constraint that the UPDATE fails to resolve, it will still fail in exactly the same way that running the ON CONFLICT on a specific constraint would fail, so it's not like you gain any extra value from specifying the constraint, is it?

​I don't know why I wrote this paragraph, it's just the product of me thinking of something else at the same time:
 UPDATE obviously doesn't resolve a conflict as such.

Thinking about it more, I suppose if multiple constraints end up triggering for the same INSERT, it would require UPDATEs of multiple rows. Is that the issue?

I'm sure we'll be asked these questions many times.

Can you comment on whether the docs are sufficiently detailed to explain this answer?

Date:
I'm sure we'll be asked these questions many times.

Can you comment on whether the docs are sufficiently detailed to explain this answer?
Well http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-insert.html explains that a conflict_target clause is required but doesn't explain why.

It _does_ make clear that multiple UPDATEs to the same row are not allowed, but that in itself doesn't automatically restrict the use of multiple constraint targets; I could easily INSERT a set of values that would trigger that failure with just one constraint target.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-insert.html talks about how MySQL's ON DUPLICATE can only act against the first matching row where multiple constraints match against multiple rows. I suppose if that were the case here (ie the first excluding row would stop other rows firing against the UPDATE) would break the deterministic feature, but it's not clear if that's true or not. I don't see why multiple target rows couldn't be updated based on multiple constraints, that would not in-and-of-itself break determinism.

If I'm missing the obvious, accept my apologies.

Geoff

Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
> Well http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-insert.html explains
> that a conflict_target clause is required but doesn't explain why.

Yes, for ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE, it is mandatory.

> It _does_ make clear that multiple UPDATEs to the same row are not allowed,
> but that in itself doesn't automatically restrict the use of multiple
> constraint targets; I could easily INSERT a set of values that would trigger
> that failure with just one constraint target.

True.

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-insert.html talks about how
> MySQL's ON DUPLICATE can only act against the first matching row where
> multiple constraints match against multiple rows. I suppose if that were the
> case here (ie the first excluding row would stop other rows firing against
> the UPDATE) would break the deterministic feature, but it's not clear if
> that's true or not. I don't see why multiple target rows couldn't be updated
> based on multiple constraints, that would not in-and-of-itself break
> determinism.
>
> If I'm missing the obvious, accept my apologies.

It's trivial to modify Postgres to not require that a specific unique
index be inferred, so that you can omit the inference specification
for DO UPDATE just as you can for DO NOTHING. That would make it work
in a similar way to MySQL; whatever actually conflict was detected
would be assumed to be cause to take the alternative update path.

The only reason I can see for wanting to do this is where you're
running a migration or something, and two unique indexes are
equivalent anyway. Like maybe you have a partial index and a
non-partial index, and you're just about to drop one of them. But the
inference specification will do the right thing here anyway --
multiple unique indexes can be inferred for edge cases like this.

I have a hard time imagining why you'd ever not want to be explicit
about what to take the alternative path on for the DO UPDATE variant.
Unless perhaps you have a different UPDATE targetlist and so on
corresponding to that case, which is currently not possible -- but
then what if multiple constraints have would-be violations at the same
time? It gets awfully messy very quickly.

What do you have in mind?

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
It's trivial to modify Postgres to not require that a specific unique
index be inferred, so that you can omit the inference specification
for DO UPDATE just as you can for DO NOTHING. That would make it work
in a similar way to MySQL; whatever actually conflict was detected
would be assumed to be cause to take the alternative update path.

​Except that would break the deterministic behaviour, surely? Because if you only updated one row based on which constraint matched first, the row that was updated would depend on the order in which the constraints were evaluated, yes? I was expecting that matching two constraints would end up UPDATEing two separate rows.

I have a hard time imagining why you'd ever not want to be explicit
about what to take the alternative path on for the DO UPDATE variant.

What do you have in mind?

If I'm being honest, my main driver is laziness :) I don't mind specifying the constraint if I can understand why it's required, but otherwise it just seems like I need to do more typing for no reason. Especially when there's only one unique constraint on a table.

Geoff

Date:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
> On 19 May 2015 at 21:12, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's trivial to modify Postgres to not require that a specific unique
>> index be inferred, so that you can omit the inference specification
>> for DO UPDATE just as you can for DO NOTHING. That would make it work
>> in a similar way to MySQL; whatever actually conflict was detected
>> would be assumed to be cause to take the alternative update path.
>

> Except that would break the deterministic behaviour, surely? Because if you
> only updated one row based on which constraint matched first, the row that
> was updated would depend on the order in which the constraints were
> evaluated, yes? I was expecting that matching two constraints would end up
> UPDATEing two separate rows.

Well, it would be deterministic to the extent that the indexes would
be evaluated in OID order. But yes, the first would-be duplicate
violation would make the update path be taken once and only once for
the row proposed for insertion -- at that point, you've given up on
insertion (unless there is a row locking conflict). Just like MySQL, I
believe.

How can you find a would-be violation without inserting? How can you
insert without also violating the other thing? It's far messier than
it first appears.

>> I have a hard time imagining why you'd ever not want to be explicit
>> about what to take the alternative path on for the DO UPDATE variant.
>>
>> What do you have in mind?
>

> If I'm being honest, my main driver is laziness :) I don't mind specifying
> the constraint if I can understand why it's required, but otherwise it just
> seems like I need to do more typing for no reason. Especially when there's
> only one unique constraint on a table.

Well, I don't have zero sympathy for that, but I'm pretty sure that
that's what other people wanted. If I'm being honest, I don't actually
remember how true that was.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
It's trivial to modify Postgres to not require that a specific unique
index be inferred, so that you can omit the inference specification
for DO UPDATE just as you can for DO NOTHING. That would make it work
in a similar way to MySQL; whatever actually conflict was detected
would be assumed to be cause to take the alternative update path.

​Except that would break the deterministic behaviour, surely? Because if you only updated one row based on which constraint matched first, the row that was updated would depend on the order in which the constraints were evaluated, yes?

It would depend upon the evaluation order, but that would not break determinism unless you allowed a random evaluation order.

Omitting the clause for DO NOTHING yet requiring it for DO UPDATE doesn't make sense.

We should allow DO UPDATE to exclude a constraint and apply a deterministic order to the constraints. 1. PK if it exists. 2. Replica Identity, when not PK, 3. UNIQUE constraints in name order, like triggers, so users can define a default evaluation order, just like they do with triggers.

I was expecting that matching two constraints would end up UPDATEing two separate rows.

It's not clear to me how a single INSERT could cause two or more UPDATEs.

I have a hard time imagining why you'd ever not want to be explicit
about what to take the alternative path on for the DO UPDATE variant.

What do you have in mind?

If I'm being honest, my main driver is laziness :) I don't mind specifying the constraint if I can understand why it's required, but otherwise it just seems like I need to do more typing for no reason. Especially when there's only one unique constraint on a table.

1) Ease of use - Unique constraints don't change very often. This saves time for the common case where they stay the same. It also saves time if they do change, because you avoid having to completely recode your app AND make that happen at exactly the same time you apply the change of unique constraint.

2) Compatibility with MySQL

Date:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> We should allow DO UPDATE to exclude a constraint and apply a deterministic
> order to the constraints. 1. PK if it exists. 2. Replica Identity, when not
> PK, 3. UNIQUE constraints in name order, like triggers, so users can define
> a default evaluation order, just like they do with triggers.

That seems like something way worse than just allowing it for all constraints.

>>> I have a hard time imagining why you'd ever not want to be explicit
>>> about what to take the alternative path on for the DO UPDATE variant.
>>>
>>> What do you have in mind?
>>

>> If I'm being honest, my main driver is laziness :) I don't mind specifying
>> the constraint if I can understand why it's required, but otherwise it just
>> seems like I need to do more typing for no reason. Especially when there's
>> only one unique constraint on a table.
>

> 1) Ease of use - Unique constraints don't change very often. This saves time
> for the common case where they stay the same. It also saves time if they do
> change, because you avoid having to completely recode your app AND make that
> happen at exactly the same time you apply the change of unique constraint.

I don't see how it's possible to change unique constraints in a way
that breaks the inference specification without that actually being
desirable -- naming the constraint by name is an escape hatch that is
generally discouraged. That's the whole point of inference. I put an
awful lot of work into making unique index inference as forgiving as
possible. For example, it doesn't care what order attributes appear
in, or if they appear redundantly, or if an ON CONFLICT unique index
predicate is more selective than any available index that is otherwise
satisfied (there is a call to predicate_implied_by()).

> 2) Compatibility with MySQL

But what you describe isn't compatible with MySQL. It's totally novel.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On 19 May 2015 at 17:10, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> We should allow DO UPDATE to exclude a constraint and apply a deterministic
> order to the constraints. 1. PK if it exists. 2. Replica Identity, when not
> PK, 3. UNIQUE constraints in name order, like triggers, so users can define
> a default evaluation order, just like they do with triggers.

That seems like something way worse than just allowing it for all constraints.

I'm talking about the evaluation order; it would still match all constraints, otherwise they wouldn't be constraints.

> 2) Compatibility with MySQL

But what you describe isn't compatible with MySQL. It's totally novel.

Upthread you said

"It's trivial to modify Postgres to not require that a specific unique
index be inferred, so that you can omit the inference specification
for DO UPDATE just as you can for DO NOTHING. That would make it work
in a similar way to MySQL"

Similar is good and useful. Full compatibility is even better.

Date:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 19 May 2015 at 17:10, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>
>> wrote:
>> > We should allow DO UPDATE to exclude a constraint and apply a
>> > deterministic
>> > order to the constraints. 1. PK if it exists. 2. Replica Identity, when
>> > not
>> > PK, 3. UNIQUE constraints in name order, like triggers, so users can
>> > define
>> > a default evaluation order, just like they do with triggers.
>>
>> That seems like something way worse than just allowing it for all
>> constraints.
>

> I'm talking about the evaluation order; it would still match all
> constraints, otherwise they wouldn't be constraints.

But it doesn't match all constraints when a would-be conflict is
detected. IOW, we lock the row and go to UPDATE, and then the user is
on their own insofar as avoiding duplicate violations goes. What might
have happened in other unique indexes (had that original would-be dup
violation not occurred) is irrelevant (with the MySQL thing, say) --
you better just get it right, and know that if a dup violation occurs
it was the one you anticipated (e.g. because there is only one unique
index anyway). With Postgres, we want to make sure that the user has
put thought into the condition they take that update path on, and so
it is mandatory (it can infer multiple unique indexes, but only when
they're basically equivalent for this purpose).

I think I agree with you, though: We should change things so that the
relcache gives indexes in something like the ordering that you
outline, rather than in the current arbitrary (though consistent) OID
order. However, I think that this should be done to avoid unnecessary
index bloat (fail early), and I don't think it makes much sense to do
it on the grounds you outline. This is because you can still easily
take the alternative path for the wrong reason, causing subtle
"logical corruption". You can still not match all indexes because one
index had a would-be dup violation (and so, as I said, it doesn't
matter what would have happened with the other ones). Maybe you still
get a dup violation from the update, "saving" you, but who wants to
rely on that?

>> > 2) Compatibility with MySQL
>>
>> But what you describe isn't compatible with MySQL. It's totally novel.
>

> Upthread you said
>
> "It's trivial to modify Postgres to not require that a specific unique
> index be inferred, so that you can omit the inference specification
> for DO UPDATE just as you can for DO NOTHING. That would make it work
> in a similar way to MySQL"
>
> Similar is good and useful. Full compatibility is even better.

I actually do not feel strongly that it would be terrible to allow the
user to omit an inference clause for the DO UPDATE variant (on the
grounds of that being closer to MySQL). After all, we don't mandate
that the user specifies an explicit targetlist for INSERT, and that
seems like a footgun to me. If you want to make the case for doing
things that way, I probably will not oppose it. FWIW, I don't think
it's unreasonable to have a little discussion on fine points of
semantics like that post feature-freeze.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

Date:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> I think I agree with you, though: We should change things so that the
> relcache gives indexes in something like the ordering that you
> outline, rather than in the current arbitrary (though consistent) OID
> order.

I'm fairly sure that there are aspects of the code that rely on indexes
being returned by RelationGetIndexList() in a stable order.  While I doubt
that has to be exactly increasing-OID-order, I'm quite concerned about
allowing the order to depend on mutable aspects of the indexes, like
names.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
>> I think I agree with you, though: We should change things so that the
>> relcache gives indexes in something like the ordering that you
>> outline, rather than in the current arbitrary (though consistent) OID
>> order.
>
> I'm fairly sure that there are aspects of the code that rely on indexes
> being returned by RelationGetIndexList() in a stable order.  While I doubt
> that has to be exactly increasing-OID-order, I'm quite concerned about
> allowing the order to depend on mutable aspects of the indexes, like
> names.

I thought the importance of the ordering was just down to some AMs
(like hash) using heavyweight locks. This could cause unprincipled
deadlocks in the face of an inconsistent ordering. nbtree used to use
page-level heavyweight locks many years ago, too, so this used to be a
big, obvious requirement. Maybe there is another reason, but AFAICR
there are no hints of that from the relevant code, and I've looked
carefully.

If it was ever changed, I think it could be done in a way that didn't
add any problems, assuming I've accounted for all the ways in which
changing the ordering could be problematic.
--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

From
Geoff Winkless
Date:
It's not clear to me how a single INSERT could cause two or more UPDATEs.

CREATE TABLE mytable (
  c1 int NOT NULL,
  c2 int NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (c1),
  UNIQUE (c2)​

​);

INSERT INTO mytable (c1, c2) (10, 20);​
INSERT INTO mytable (c1, c2) (11, 21);
​INSERT INTO mytable (c1, c2) (10, 21) ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE .....
Or did you mean from a coding point of view how it would be possible to implement?

​Geoff​

Date:
On 19 May 2015 at 19:59, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 19 May 2015 at 17:10, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>
>> wrote:
>> > We should allow DO UPDATE to exclude a constraint and apply a
>> > deterministic
>> > order to the constraints. 1. PK if it exists. 2. Replica Identity, when
>> > not
>> > PK, 3. UNIQUE constraints in name order, like triggers, so users can
>> > define
>> > a default evaluation order, just like they do with triggers.
>>
>> That seems like something way worse than just allowing it for all
>> constraints.
>

> I'm talking about the evaluation order; it would still match all
> constraints, otherwise they wouldn't be constraints.

But it doesn't match all constraints when a would-be conflict is
detected.

No not all, but we can evaluate the constraints one at a time in a consistent order.

My point is this: We do not need to explicitly specify the constraint we wish to test to ensure that we get deterministic behaviour. So it is possible to avoid specifying a constraint/conflict target and still get deterministic behaviour (which is essential).

With Postgres, we want to make sure that the user has
put thought into the condition they take that update path on, and so
it is mandatory (it can infer multiple unique indexes, but only when
they're basically equivalent for this purpose).

If I have two constraints and I think about it, I would want to be able to specify this...

INSERT
ON CONFLICT (col1) DO UPDATE... (handle it one way)
ON CONFLICT (col2) DO UPDATE... (handle it 2nd way)

but I cannot with the current syntax.

It seems strange to force the user to think about constraint handling and then not offer them any choices once they have done the thinking.

If the update is the same no matter which constraint is violated, why would I need to specify the constraint? We're forcing the developer to make an arbitrary choice between two constraints.

I actually do not feel strongly that it would be terrible to allow the
user to omit an inference clause for the DO UPDATE variant (on the
grounds of that being closer to MySQL). After all, we don't mandate
that the user specifies an explicit targetlist for INSERT, and that
seems like a footgun to me. If you want to make the case for doing
things that way, I probably will not oppose it. FWIW, I don't think
it's unreasonable to have a little discussion on fine points of
semantics like that post feature-freeze.

We will see many people ask why they have to specify constraints explicitly.

As I've pointed out, if the underlying model changes then you now have to explicitly recode all the SQL as well AND time that exactly so you roll out the new code at the same time you add/change constraints. That makes it much harder to use this feature than I would like.

Date:
It's not clear to me how a single INSERT could cause two or more UPDATEs.

CREATE TABLE mytable (
  c1 int NOT NULL,
  c2 int NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (c1),
  UNIQUE (c2)​

​);

INSERT INTO mytable (c1, c2) (10, 20);​
INSERT INTO mytable (c1, c2) (11, 21);
​INSERT INTO mytable (c1, c2) (10, 21) ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE .....
Or did you mean from a coding point of view how it would be possible to implement?

I mean "how could that possibly have useful meaning?".

Date:
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> No not all, but we can evaluate the constraints one at a time in a
> consistent order.

We do so currently. Now, you point out that that might not be the most
useful ordering, and as it happens I agree. But changing that ordering
to not just be OID-ordering, but to put the PK first (and so on) isn't
going to fundamentally change anything. FWIW, I think that that much
(PK first) will usually accidentally be true anyway, because of the
way that create table statement is originally executed.

> My point is this: We do not need to explicitly specify the constraint we
> wish to test to ensure that we get deterministic behaviour. So it is
> possible to avoid specifying a constraint/conflict target and still get
> deterministic behaviour (which is essential).

It is deterministic, but omitting an inference specification still
risks taking the wrong path. You seem not be acknowledging that you
can still take the wrong path due to a dup violation in the wrong
constraint. So being guaranteed to have observed or not observed a
would-be dup violation in the PK does not buy much.

> If I have two constraints and I think about it, I would want to be able to
> specify this...
>
> INSERT
> ON CONFLICT (col1) DO UPDATE... (handle it one way)
> ON CONFLICT (col2) DO UPDATE... (handle it 2nd way)
>
> but I cannot with the current syntax.
>
> It seems strange to force the user to think about constraint handling and
> then not offer them any choices once they have done the thinking.

What if both constraints are violated? Won't the update end up in trouble?

> If the update is the same no matter which constraint is violated, why would
> I need to specify the constraint? We're forcing the developer to make an
> arbitrary choice between two constraints.

Why would the update be the same, though? How could that make sense?
You're still going to have to update both unique-indexed columns with
something, and that could fail.

> We will see many people ask why they have to specify constraints explicitly.

I'm not sure that we will, actually, but as I said, go ahead and
propose removing the restriction if you think it's important (maybe
start a thread on it).

> As I've pointed out, if the underlying model changes then you now have to
> explicitly recode all the SQL as well AND time that exactly so you roll out
> the new code at the same time you add/change constraints. That makes it much
> harder to use this feature than I would like.

If the underlying model changes, then it's good that your queries
break, because they're predicated on the original model. I don't think
that happens very often at all. What is much more routine - adding
redundant indexes to reindex using CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, or
changing the predicate on whatever partial unique indexes happen to be
defined on the table - is handled gracefully.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On 21 May 2015 at 14:25, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:

> If I have two constraints and I think about it, I would want to be able to
> specify this...
>
> INSERT
> ON CONFLICT (col1) DO UPDATE... (handle it one way)
> ON CONFLICT (col2) DO UPDATE... (handle it 2nd way)
>
> but I cannot with the current syntax.
>
> It seems strange to force the user to think about constraint handling and
> then not offer them any choices once they have done the thinking.

What if both constraints are violated? Won't the update end up in trouble?

Great question. We don't handle that at the moment. So how do we handle that?

> If the update is the same no matter which constraint is violated, why would
> I need to specify the constraint? We're forcing the developer to make an
> arbitrary choice between two constraints.

Why would the update be the same, though?

*If* is the keyword there.

How could that make sense?

It wouldn't, that is the point. So why does the current syntax force that?

You're still going to have to update both unique-indexed columns with
something, and that could fail.

ISTM clear that you might want to handle each kind of violation differently, but we cannot.

> We will see many people ask why they have to specify constraints explicitly.

I'm not sure that we will, actually, but as I said, go ahead and
propose removing the restriction if you think it's important (maybe
start a thread on it).

I am. I have. Many times. What is wrong with this thread or all of the other times I said it?

Please look at the $SUBJECT of this thread. We're here now.

> As I've pointed out, if the underlying model changes then you now have to
> explicitly recode all the SQL as well AND time that exactly so you roll out
> the new code at the same time you add/change constraints. That makes it much
> harder to use this feature than I would like.

If the underlying model changes, then it's good that your queries
break, because they're predicated on the original model. I don't think
that happens very often at all.

If it seldom happens, then why do we need to specify the conflict-target? If I know there is only one unique constraint, why can I not rely upon that knowledge?

What is much more routine - adding
redundant indexes to reindex using CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, or
changing the predicate on whatever partial unique indexes happen to be
defined on the table - is handled gracefully.

What has CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY got to do with this? If you don't specify the conflict-target at all, it wouldn't matter what the indexes are. If you have two indexes the same then it clearly wouldn't matter which one was checked first.

Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Simon Riggs (simon@2ndQuadrant.com) wrote:
> On 21 May 2015 at 14:25, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> > > If the update is the same no matter which constraint is violated, why
> > would
> > > I need to specify the constraint? We're forcing the developer to make an
> > > arbitrary choice between two constraints.
> >
> > Why would the update be the same, though?
>
> *If* is the keyword there.

Agreed.

> > We will see many people ask why they have to specify constraints
> > explicitly.
> >
> > I'm not sure that we will, actually, but as I said, go ahead and
> > propose removing the restriction if you think it's important (maybe
> > start a thread on it).
> >

> I am. I have. Many times. What is wrong with this thread or all of the
> other times I said it?
>
> Please look at the $SUBJECT of this thread. We're here now.

I've also asked for this.
Thanks!
    Stephen

Date:
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> > It seems strange to force the user to think about constraint handling
>> > and
>> > then not offer them any choices once they have done the thinking.
>>
>> What if both constraints are violated? Won't the update end up in trouble?
>

> Great question. We don't handle that at the moment. So how do we handle
> that?

By writing two separate INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE statements?
There is very little or no disadvantage to doing it that way.

>> > If the update is the same no matter which constraint is violated, why
>> > would
>> > I need to specify the constraint? We're forcing the developer to make an
>> > arbitrary choice between two constraints.
>>
>> Why would the update be the same, though?
>

> *If* is the keyword there.

I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which the update would
be the same. That's why I asked how it could be. I'm asking for a
practical example involving plausible business rules.

>> How could that make sense?
>

> It wouldn't, that is the point. So why does the current syntax force that?
>

>> You're still going to have to update both unique-indexed columns with
>> something, and that could fail.
>

> ISTM clear that you might want to handle each kind of violation differently,
> but we cannot.

I think you can -- with two statements.

>> > We will see many people ask why they have to specify constraints
>> > explicitly.
>>
>> I'm not sure that we will, actually, but as I said, go ahead and
>> propose removing the restriction if you think it's important (maybe
>> start a thread on it).
>

> I am. I have. Many times. What is wrong with this thread or all of the other
> times I said it?
>
> Please look at the $SUBJECT of this thread. We're here now.

What do you want me to do about it? I've said that I think that what
you say about not mandating the inference clause in the parser could
be okay. If you want to change it, obviously you're going to need to
get some buy in, and this thread could easily be missed. I'm not
willing to defend mandating it, and I'm not willing to argue for
removing it (to be clear, I think being able to infer a unique index
is very important, but that doesn't mean that I'm attached to
mandating it for UPDATE). That's all.

>> > As I've pointed out, if the underlying model changes then you now have
>> > explicitly recode all the SQL as well AND time that exactly so you roll
>> > out
>> > the new code at the same time you add/change constraints. That makes it
>> > much
>> > harder to use this feature than I would like.
>>
>> If the underlying model changes, then it's good that your queries
>> break, because they're predicated on the original model. I don't think
>>
>> that happens very often at all.
>

> If it seldom happens, then why do we need to specify the conflict-target? If
> I know there is only one unique constraint, why can I not rely upon that
> knowledge?

You say that as if I'm giving you pushback on that point -- for the
third time, I'm not.

If there is more than one unique constraint (or if there might be in
the future), why take the chance that the update will take the wrong
path? I'm not saying that that's the overriding consideration, but it
is certainly a big consideration.

>> What is much more routine - adding
>> redundant indexes to reindex using CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, or
>> changing the predicate on whatever partial unique indexes happen to be
>> defined on the table - is handled gracefully.
>

> What has CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY got to do with this? If you don't specify
> the conflict-target at all, it wouldn't matter what the indexes are. If you
> have two indexes the same then it clearly wouldn't matter which one was
> checked first.

I'm not talking about that here. What I meant is that changes to
unique indexes that don't affect the underlying model (as you put it)
don't break your queries. Changes that do *will* break your queries.
And that's definitely a good thing. I am pretty neutral on whether
it's right to mandate that DO UPDATE statements *must* buy in to this.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On 21 May 2015 at 15:44, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:

> Please look at the $SUBJECT of this thread. We're here now.

What do you want me to do about it? I've said that I think that what
you say about not mandating the inference clause in the parser could
be okay. If you want to change it, obviously you're going to need to
get some buy in, and this thread could easily be missed. I'm not
willing to defend mandating it, and I'm not willing to argue for
removing it (to be clear, I think being able to infer a unique index
is very important, but that doesn't mean that I'm attached to
mandating it for UPDATE). That's all.

OK, let me summarise. First, thanks for putting time into this feature; we all wish to see it work and work well.

The current ON CONFLICT syntax requires us to specify one-and-only-one conflict_target/conflict_action pair. I would like to be able to specify 0, 1 or more conflict_targets, as the developer desires.

It is very desirable to be able to specify DO UPDATE without any conflict_target, relying instead on our ability to infer a conflict_target deterministically. That is the way other systems work and we should be aiming to provide similar ease of use. Having said that, we all recognize that MySQL is broken for multiple constraints and we have done well to come up with a design that allows us to specify finer grained control when we have multiple constraints. (Ideally, we would use the identical syntax to MySQL, but that is secondary to simply avoiding specifying a conflict_target).

If we do have multiple constraints then we should be allowed to specify multiple conflict_target/conflict_action pairs (or similar), since few people believe that one conflict_action would cover the various permutations that occur with multiple potential constraint failures.

In summary, the current design seeks to overcome the problems of having multiple constraints, but doesn't yet do so in a flexible (0) or complete (>1) way.

As the patch author I hope and expect that you will listen to this and consider how you will resolve these problems, just as any of us has done when they are the patch author, even after commit. I would like to see this happen now before we get hit with usage questions similar to OP's. If both requests cannot happen now, if we can at least agree a path for future enhancement we can refer people to what will happen in later releases when they ask.

Date:
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> OK, let me summarise. First, thanks for putting time into this feature; we
> all wish to see it work and work well.

You're welcome.

> The current ON CONFLICT syntax requires us to specify one-and-only-one
> conflict_target/conflict_action pair. I would like to be able to specify 0,
> 1 or more conflict_targets, as the developer desires.

Well, multiple unique indexes (that represent essentially the same
business rule) can be inferred at the same time, for edge-cases around
migrations and so on.

> It is very desirable to be able to specify DO UPDATE without any
> conflict_target, relying instead on our ability to infer a conflict_target
> deterministically. That is the way other systems work and we should be
> aiming to provide similar ease of use. Having said that, we all recognize
> that MySQL is broken for multiple constraints and we have done well to come
> up with a design that allows us to specify finer grained control when we
> have multiple constraints. (Ideally, we would use the identical syntax to
> MySQL, but that is secondary to simply avoiding specifying a
> conflict_target).

Okay. No real argument here so far.

> If we do have multiple constraints then we should be allowed to specify
> multiple conflict_target/conflict_action pairs (or similar), since few
> people believe that one conflict_action would cover the various permutations
> that occur with multiple potential constraint failures.
>
> In summary, the current design seeks to overcome the problems of having
> multiple constraints, but doesn't yet do so in a flexible (0) or complete
> (>1) way.

My difficulty with this (which seems distinct to the concern about not
mandating an inference specification, a concern which seems to only be
about laziness and/or MySQL compatibility) is that I think you'll have
a very hard time finding a case where the update naturally applies to
the path when either constraint is taken, and applies indifferently.
After all, and as I said, why should you not fail when updating the
*other* constrained column in the update? Also, why should you not
have to worry about *both* constraints failing at once (from the
insert)?

I think that if we try and address these cases, we'll end up with
something unusable, complicated, and no better than simply writing two
statements.

> As the patch author I hope and expect that you will listen to this and
> consider how you will resolve these problems, just as any of us has done
> when they are the patch author, even after commit. I would like to see this
> happen now before we get hit with usage questions similar to OP's. If both
> requests cannot happen now, if we can at least agree a path for future
> enhancement we can refer people to what will happen in later releases when
> they ask.

That's reasonable. I only ask that you describe a plausible use case.
Let's start with that. Try and convince me.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>> As the patch author I hope and expect that you will listen to this and
>> consider how you will resolve these problems, just as any of us has done
>> when they are the patch author, even after commit. I would like to see this
>> happen now before we get hit with usage questions similar to OP's. If both
>> requests cannot happen now, if we can at least agree a path for future
>> enhancement we can refer people to what will happen in later releases when
>> they ask.
>
> That's reasonable. I only ask that you describe a plausible use case.
> Let's start with that. Try and convince me.

Also, by not taking a firm position one way or the other on the first
point, the question of whether or not it is appropriate to mandate an
inference specification for the DO UPDATE variant, I am not simply
being indifferent. Rather, I don't know one way or the other. I
reserve judgement.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date: