Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

While playing around with where exactly to put the replication
origin/progress docs I once more noticed that the 'Server Programming'
book is a mix of different topics.

It currently contains:   35. Extending SQL   36. Triggers   37. Event Triggers   38. The Rule System   39. Procedural
Languages  40. PL/pgSQL - SQL Procedural Language   41. PL/Tcl - Tcl Procedural Language   42. PL/Perl - Perl
ProceduralLanguage   43. PL/Python - Python Procedural Language   44. Server Programming Interface   45. Background
WorkerProcesses   46. Logical Decoding   47. Replication Progress Tracking

To me at least 44 - 47 don't really fit well to the rest. I think we
either should invent a new category for them, or move them to
'Internals'. Maybe we could introduce 'Extending the Server' category
for those and a couple more? Candidates for that least seem to be
52. Writing A Procedural Language Handler
53. Writing A Foreign Data Wrapper
54. Writing A Custom Scan Provider
and arguably
57. GiST Indexes
58. SP-GiST Indexes
59. GIN Indexes
60. BRIN Indexes
as well.

Alternatively we could just move the above 'Internals' chapters into
'Server Programming'? But I think it's good to have split between C and
normal stuff there.

Also, shouldn't there at least be a link to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xfunc-sql.html in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xplang.html ?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> While playing around with where exactly to put the replication
> origin/progress docs I once more noticed that the 'Server Programming'
> book is a mix of different topics.
>
> It currently contains:
>     35. Extending SQL
>     36. Triggers
>     37. Event Triggers
>     38. The Rule System
>     39. Procedural Languages
>     40. PL/pgSQL - SQL Procedural Language
>     41. PL/Tcl - Tcl Procedural Language
>     42. PL/Perl - Perl Procedural Language
>     43. PL/Python - Python Procedural Language
>     44. Server Programming Interface
>     45. Background Worker Processes
>     46. Logical Decoding
>     47. Replication Progress Tracking
>
> To me at least 44 - 47 don't really fit well to the rest. I think we
> either should invent a new category for them, or move them to
> 'Internals'. Maybe we could introduce 'Extending the Server' category
> for those and a couple more? Candidates for that least seem to be
> 52. Writing A Procedural Language Handler
> 53. Writing A Foreign Data Wrapper
> 54. Writing A Custom Scan Provider

I like the "extending the server" idea.  Maybe "Server Extensions".

> Also, shouldn't there at least be a link to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xfunc-sql.html in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xplang.html ?

Wouldn't hurt.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> > To me at least 44 - 47 don't really fit well to the rest. I think we
> > either should invent a new category for them, or move them to
> > 'Internals'. Maybe we could introduce 'Extending the Server' category
> > for those and a couple more? Candidates for that least seem to be
> > 52. Writing A Procedural Language Handler
> > 53. Writing A Foreign Data Wrapper
> > 54. Writing A Custom Scan Provider
>
> I like the "extending the server" idea.  Maybe "Server Extensions".

+1 for Extending the Server.  I don't like Server Extensions too much;
seems confusing with sql-level EXTENSION objects.

> > Also, shouldn't there at least be a link to
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xfunc-sql.html in
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xplang.html ?
>
> Wouldn't hurt.

Agreed.

Re: Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On 4/23/15 9:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
>>> To me at least 44 - 47 don't really fit well to the rest. I think we
>>> either should invent a new category for them, or move them to
>>> 'Internals'. Maybe we could introduce 'Extending the Server' category
>>> for those and a couple more? Candidates for that least seem to be
>>> 52. Writing A Procedural Language Handler
>>> 53. Writing A Foreign Data Wrapper
>>> 54. Writing A Custom Scan Provider
>>
>> I like the "extending the server" idea.  Maybe "Server Extensions".
>
> +1 for Extending the Server.  I don't like Server Extensions too much;
> seems confusing with sql-level EXTENSION objects.

I definitely think it would be useful to split the C stuff out on it's
own. We could also stand to have more information there, especially
around things like fcinfo, but that's another topic...