show xl_prev in xlog.c errcontext

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
I found this patch in my local repo that I wrote some weeks or months
ago while debugging some XLog corruption problem: it was difficult to
pinpoint what XLog record in a long sequence of WAL files was causing a
problem, and the displaying the prev pointer in errcontext made finding
it much easier -- I could correlate it with pg_xlogdump output, I think.

Anyone sees a reason not to apply this or something like it?

(As I recall, we eventually found out that the underlying issue was that
two postmasters shared one data area over NFS and were overwriting one
another's WAL files, or something like that.  But this was some time ago
so I could be mistaken that it's the same case.)

Re: show xl_prev in xlog.c errcontext

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
On 04/15/2015 11:35 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I found this patch in my local repo that I wrote some weeks or months
> ago while debugging some XLog corruption problem: it was difficult to
> pinpoint what XLog record in a long sequence of WAL files was causing a
> problem, and the displaying the prev pointer in errcontext made finding
> it much easier -- I could correlate it with pg_xlogdump output, I think.

Seems like a good idea, but why print the prev pointer, and not the
location of the record itself?

- Heikki

Re: show xl_prev in xlog.c errcontext

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:

>> I found this patch in my local repo that I wrote some weeks or months
>> ago while debugging some XLog corruption problem: it was difficult to
>> pinpoint what XLog record in a long sequence of WAL files was causing a
>> problem, and the displaying the prev pointer in errcontext made finding
>> it much easier -- I could correlate it with pg_xlogdump output, I think.
>

> Seems like a good idea, but why print the prev pointer, and not the location
> of the record itself?

And both?
--
Michael

Date:
Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On 04/15/2015 11:35 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >>
> >> I found this patch in my local repo that I wrote some weeks or months
> >> ago while debugging some XLog corruption problem: it was difficult to
> >> pinpoint what XLog record in a long sequence of WAL files was causing a
> >> problem, and the displaying the prev pointer in errcontext made finding
> >> it much easier -- I could correlate it with pg_xlogdump output, I think.
> >
> > Seems like a good idea, but why print the prev pointer, and not the location
> > of the record itself?

Makes sense -- pushed that way.

> And both?

I couldn't see much point of doing this, so I didn't.  If you have a
rationale for it, let's hear it.

Date:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Michael Paquier wrote:
>> And both?
>
> I couldn't see much point of doing this, so I didn't.  If you have a
> rationale for it, let's hear it.

Now that I think on it, it does not actually matter to print both.
--
Michael