Customized Options Threshold Error

From
Date:
Hi,

When we specify a value which exceeds valid range in "Customized Options" ,
its behavior is different from "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File" behavior.

In case of "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File", it finish with FATAL error when it get threshold error.
But in "Customized Options", it just printout WARNING and continue the process with default value.

In manual, it says "issue warnings for any unrecognized placeholders that begin with its extension name" written in
"18.16.Customized Options".

So when extension name is correct and the value exceeds the threshold range,
I think it should end with FATAL error just like "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File".
Thought?

Following is the threshold error log. One is "Customized Options Threshold Error" and another is "Parameter Interaction
viaConfiguration File Threshold Error".

"Customized Options Threshold Error"
WARNING:  invalid value for parameter "pg_receivexlog_mng.monitor_interval": "2147483648"HINT:  Value exceeds integer
range.LOG: registering background worker "pg_receivexlog_mng"

"Parameter Interaction via Configuration File Threshold Error"
FATAL:  configuration file "/dbfp/data/postgresql.conf" contains errors

Furuya Osamu

Re: Customized Options Threshold Error

Date:
<furuyao@pm.nttdata.co.jp> writes:
> When we specify a value which exceeds valid range in "Customized Options" ,
> its behavior is different from "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File" behavior.

> In case of "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File", it finish with FATAL error when it get threshold error.
> But in "Customized Options", it just printout WARNING and continue the process with default value.

I think this is based on a misunderstanding.  Bad values in
postgresql.conf only result in a FATAL error at initial postmaster
startup; if you change them and SIGHUP the server, an erroneous new
value just results in a WARNING.  This is because we don't really
want the server crashing once it's up.  The case you're showing with
registering a new background worker is something that happens after
the server is up, so it's consistent for it to produce a WARNING
not a fatal error.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> > When we specify a value which exceeds valid range in "Customized
> > Options" , its behavior is different from "Parameter Interaction via
> Configuration File" behavior.
>
> > In case of "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File", it finish
> with FATAL error when it get threshold error.
> > But in "Customized Options", it just printout WARNING and continue the
> process with default value.
>
> I think this is based on a misunderstanding.  Bad values in
> postgresql.conf only result in a FATAL error at initial postmaster
> startup; if you change them and SIGHUP the server, an erroneous new value
> just results in a WARNING.  This is because we don't really want the
> server crashing once it's up.  The case you're showing with registering
> a new background worker is something that happens after the server is
> up, so it's consistent for it to produce a WARNING not a fatal error.

Thanks for the reply.

> registering a new background worker is something that happens after the server is up

I understand that parameters which are set by "Customized Options" are loaded after server is up, same as like "pg_ctl
reload",so even if invalid parameters are specified postmaster just ignore them and results in a WARNING.

However, "Customized Options" always treated as "pg_ctl reload" is little bit strange to me.

Furuya Osamu