Fresh initdb contains a few deleted B-Tree pages

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
I would like to put on the record that there are a few deleted B-Tree
pages in a freshly initdb'd database. As my btreecheck tools shows:

mgd=# select bt_index_verify(indexrelid::regclass::text) from pg_index;
NOTICE:  00000: page 12 of index "pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index" is deleted
LOCATION:  bt_page_verify_worker, btreecheck.c:206
NOTICE:  00000: page 13 of index "pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index" is deleted
LOCATION:  bt_page_verify_worker, btreecheck.c:206
NOTICE:  00000: page 14 of index "pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index" is deleted
LOCATION:  bt_page_verify_worker, btreecheck.c:206
NOTICE:  00000: page 9 of index "pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index" is deleted
LOCATION:  bt_page_verify_worker, btreecheck.c:206

(contrib/pageinspect's bt_page_items() will show a similar message if
this is done manually)

This is not a new-to-9.4 issue. I am not suggesting that it's a real
problem that requires immediate fixing, but it is suboptimal. We may
wish to fix this someday.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Fresh initdb contains a few deleted B-Tree pages

From
Greg Stark
Date:
notsurprising there are some updates creating garbage. Iirc we don't even rely on template0 being frozen any more.<p
dir="ltr">--<br /> greg

Date:
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> Why is this even a small concern? Initdb runs the bootstrap SQL which does
> various SQL operations so it's not surprising there are some updates
> creating garbage. Iirc we don't even rely on template0 being frozen any
> more.

It's not surprising that some initdb updates create garbage, but the
extent to which they do did slightly surprise me.

--
Peter Geoghegan