introduction

From
Bert
Date:
Hi all,

I've just subscribed to this mailing list, so I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.
I'm Bert Desmet, and I currently live in Belgium.
I work for Deloitte, where we are building a cloud BI platform. As a database for the datawarehouses we use PostgreSQL since a few months. Before that time we were using db2. Next to THE dba (yes, it's only for the moment), I'm also playing with the linux servers, and I do code a bit. Mostly in Python or bash.

I used to do community work for the fedora project, but since I changed from a contributor to a normal user I decided to pick up a new challenge: coding.
Since I use postgres every day this is also the product I want to code on.
But I realise every begin is difficult. I can't just dive into a big project like postgres.

So I'll just monitor the mailing list a bit, pick some patches and test them. I think this is the best way to learn to know the code, and is probably helpful for everyone?

anyway, I hope I can grow to become a valuable contributor. But that won't happen overnight! :-)

cheers,
Bert

Re: introduction

From
"Dickson S. Guedes"
Date:
2013/4/9 Bert <biertie@gmail.com>:
> So I'll just monitor the mailing list a bit, pick some patches and test
> them. I think this is the best way to learn to know the code, and is
> probably helpful for everyone?

Plus to that you can start reading some information about development
process [1]. There you'll see that we have a TODO list [2] that could
be a start point to code, but IMHO a better start point is reviewing
another's code, you can find some information about that in [3].

Another place is the IRC channel #postgresql on irc.freenode.net where
you can find Postgres users and developers chatting.

[1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information
[2] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
[3] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch

Best regards,
--
Dickson S. Guedes
mail/xmpp: guedes@guedesoft.net - skype: guediz

Re: introduction

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 10/04/13 09:40, Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
> 2013/4/9 Bert <biertie@gmail.com>:
>> So I'll just monitor the mailing list a bit, pick some patches and test
>> them. I think this is the best way to learn to know the code, and is
>> probably helpful for everyone?
> Plus to that you can start reading some information about development
> process [1]. There you'll see that we have a TODO list [2] that could
> be a start point to code, but IMHO a better start point is reviewing
> another's code, you can find some information about that in [3].
>
> Another place is the IRC channel #postgresql on irc.freenode.net where
> you can find Postgres users and developers chatting.
>

> [1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information
> [2] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
> [3] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch
>

> Best regards,
Additionally, they are very short of people to review patches, so doing
so would be a great help to Postgres development, and reviewing patches
often appears to be the bottleneck.  Obviously you need to get up to
speed first before you can fully contribute here, but you will find a
lot of encouragement to start doing so.

Cheers,
Gavin