Re: [GENERAL] Estimated rows question

From
Sam Ross
Date:
On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> [ sorry for slow response, but I'd not gotten time to think about this... ]
>
> Sam Ross <elliptic@gmail.com> writes:
>> I was wondering why it seems that the query planner can't "see", based
>> on the histograms, that two join-columns have a very small
>> intersection, and adjust its row estimation accordingly.
>
> The reason why not is that eqjoinsel() doesn't take any such
> consideration into account.  It's possible that it'd be a good idea
> to teach it to do so.  I'm not entirely convinced though.  It would
> add a fair amount of expense to that function, as well as adding
> some possibly shaky assumptions, and I'm not sure how often we'd
> get a usefully-better estimate in practice.  OTOH, there are a lot
> of shaky assumptions in eqjoinsel() already, and we did decide this
> was worth worrying about in mergejoin cost estimation.
>
> Do you want to try it and submit a patch for testing?
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Thanks for the answer, and sorry for the slow reply -
I'm not sure I have the necessary expertise, but I'll be happy to give
it a shot.  Is there an already-assembled library of queries that is
used to test purported improvements to the planner, or is it expected
that I come up with a convincing test-set myself?
Sam

Re: [GENERAL] Estimated rows question

Date:
Sam Ross <elliptic@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Do you want to try it and submit a patch for testing?

> Thanks for the answer, and sorry for the slow reply -
> I'm not sure I have the necessary expertise, but I'll be happy to give
> it a shot.  Is there an already-assembled library of queries that is
> used to test purported improvements to the planner, or is it expected
> that I come up with a convincing test-set myself?

No, we don't really have much in that line :-(.  There's the regression
tests of course, but they're mostly about functionality not quality of
statistical estimates.  In practice, as long as a proposed change made
the estimates demonstrably better in some reasonable scenarios, and
didn't slow it down very much, that would probably be enough.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] Estimated rows question

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:19:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sam Ross <elliptic@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Do you want to try it and submit a patch for testing?
>
> > Thanks for the answer, and sorry for the slow reply - I'm not sure
> > I have the necessary expertise, but I'll be happy to give it a
> > shot.  Is there an already-assembled library of queries that is
> > used to test purported improvements to the planner, or is it
> > expected that I come up with a convincing test-set myself?
>
> No, we don't really have much in that line :-(.

Does anyone?  If so, who?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!