Is this an appropriate item?

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Hi,

I found following item in the Developer FAQ.
I don't see why this is related to developers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Why aren't there more compression
optionswhen dumping tables?

pg_dump's built-in compression method is gzip. The primary alternative, bzip2, is normally far too slow to be useful
whendumping large tables.

The two main alternatives regularly proposed for better built-in compression at good speeds are LZO and LZMA/LZMA2/XZ.
LZOis released under the GPL, incompatible with PostgreSQL. The LZMA2 code has been released into the public domain,
butthe C port is a secondary one (C++ is the main development focus) whose code quality hasn't seemed appropriate for
thisproject. And this whole area has traditionally been filled with patent issues that go beyond just the restrictions
ofthe software license.

Another limitation on changing this is that pg_dump output is intended to be archivable, so we had better be prepared
tosupport compression methods for a very long time. The "latest and greatest" compression method is exactly what we
*don't*want.

See the archives for an idea what characteristics an alternate compression tool would need to have in order to be
consideredfor use in core PostgreSQL.

Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Re: Is this an appropriate item?

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found following item in the Developer FAQ.
> I don't see why this is related to developers.
>  Why aren't there more compression options when dumping tables?

it looks more like a TODO, or we think we are not interested on this?
if the latter, then it probably is part of the "things we don't want"
of the dev faq

btw, the previous item is this:
"Why don't you use threads, raw devices, async-I/O, <insert your
favorite wizz-bang feature here>?"

what's the difference about the async-I/O mentioned here and
"synchronous_commit=off", if there is none maybe we should remove that
part

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación

Date:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found following item in the Developer FAQ.
>> I don't see why this is related to developers.
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  Why aren't there more compression options when dumping tables?
>>

> it looks more like a TODO, or we think we are not interested on this?
> if the latter, then it probably is part of the "things we don't want"
> of the dev faq
>
> btw, the previous item is this:
> "Why don't you use threads, raw devices, async-I/O, <insert your
> favorite wizz-bang feature here>?"
>
> what's the difference about the async-I/O mentioned here and
> "synchronous_commit=off", if there is none maybe we should remove that
> part

BTW, this:

>>  Why aren't there more compression options when dumping tables?

is a subsection of this:
> "Why don't you use threads, raw devices, async-I/O, <insert your> favorite wizz-bang feature here>?"

I don't see any relationship between former and latter.
--

Date:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:46:38AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I found following item in the Developer FAQ.
> >> I don't see why this is related to developers.
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>  Why aren't there more compression options when dumping tables?
> >>

> > it looks more like a TODO, or we think we are not interested on this?
> > if the latter, then it probably is part of the "things we don't want"
> > of the dev faq
> >
> > btw, the previous item is this:
> > "Why don't you use threads, raw devices, async-I/O, <insert your
> > favorite wizz-bang feature here>?"
> >
> > what's the difference about the async-I/O mentioned here and
> > "synchronous_commit=off", if there is none maybe we should remove that
> > part
>
> BTW, this:
>
> >>  Why aren't there more compression options when dumping tables?
>
> is a subsection of this:
> > "Why don't you use threads, raw devices, async-I/O, <insert your> favorite wizz-bang feature here>?"
>
> I don't see any relationship between former and latter.

Compression item removed from English FAQ.

http://enterprisedb.com