enable_indexonly

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
I notice that there isn't a parameter called enable_indexonly (or similar).

ISTM that such a major new feature should be controlled by a planner
method parameter, just as all the existing planner methods are.

This will help us evaluate index only scans in production, and turn
them off if they have negative impacts.

Re: enable_indexonly

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 27 April 2012 16:08, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I notice that there isn't a parameter called enable_indexonly (or similar).
>
> ISTM that such a major new feature should be controlled by a planner
> method parameter, just as all the existing planner methods are.
>
> This will help us evaluate index only scans in production, and turn
> them off if they have negative impacts.

It already exists and is called "enable_indexonlyscan".

--
Thom

Re: enable_indexonly

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 27 April 2012 16:08, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I notice that there isn't a parameter called enable_indexonly (or similar).
>>
>> ISTM that such a major new feature should be controlled by a planner
>> method parameter, just as all the existing planner methods are.
>>
>> This will help us evaluate index only scans in production, and turn
>> them off if they have negative impacts.
>
> It already exists and is called "enable_indexonlyscan".

Hmm. Forgive me, I pressed the wrong button and looked at current docs
rather than dev docs.

(Easier when they used to look different...)

Re: enable_indexonly

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 04/27/2012 11:45 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Thom Brown<thom@linux.com>  wrote:
>> On 27 April 2012 16:08, Simon Riggs<simon@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
>>> I notice that there isn't a parameter called enable_indexonly (or similar).
>>>
>>> ISTM that such a major new feature should be controlled by a planner
>>> method parameter, just as all the existing planner methods are.
>>>
>>> This will help us evaluate index only scans in production, and turn
>>> them off if they have negative impacts.
>> It already exists and is called "enable_indexonlyscan".
> Hmm. Forgive me, I pressed the wrong button and looked at current docs
> rather than dev docs.
>
> (Easier when they used to look different...)

Maybe we should have the stylesheet watermark the dev docs pages.

cheers

andrew

Re: enable_indexonly

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

>> (Easier when they used to look different...)
>

> Maybe we should have the stylesheet watermark the dev docs pages.

+1

Many users have >1 version in production. This would help

Re: enable_indexonly

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 17:56, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 04/27/2012 11:45 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> It already exists and is called "enable_indexonlyscan".
>>
>> Hmm. Forgive me, I pressed the wrong button and looked at current docs
>> rather than dev docs.
>>
>> (Easier when they used to look different...)
>

> Maybe we should have the stylesheet watermark the dev docs pages.

Are you offering to write the patch? ;)

(if someone can provide a CSS that will look good and work cross
browser, I can do the website code side of things that enables it for
the devel docs)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: enable_indexonly

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 04/27/2012 12:44 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Hmm. Forgive me, I pressed the wrong button and looked at current docs
>>> rather than dev docs.
>>>
>>> (Easier when they used to look different...)
>>
>> Maybe we should have the stylesheet watermark the dev docs pages.
> Are you offering to write the patch? ;)

I am about the worst person in the world to ask to do this. But there
are plenty of web jockeys in the community who would be better at it
than would I.

cheers

andrew

Re: enable_indexonly

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 17:41, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

>>> Maybe we should have the stylesheet watermark the dev docs pages.
>>
>> Are you offering to write the patch? ;)
>

> I am about the worst person in the world to ask to do this. But there are
> plenty of web jockeys in the community who would be better at it than would
> I.

:-) Well, same here. But if one of said web jockeys can come up with a
good stylesheet, I'll be happy to integrate it.