Event scheduling

From
Joe Van Dyk
Date:
Anyone else want event scheduling / cron / temporal triggers in
postgresql? http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/events-overview.html
shows how it works in mysql.

Can we throw money at someone to get this in postgres? Is there work
already being done on this?

Being able to regularly execute a postgres function every so often
would be really nice. It would simplify lots of deployments.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Event scheduling

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Joe Van Dyk <joe@tanga.com> wrote:

> Anyone else want event scheduling / cron / temporal triggers in
> postgresql? http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/events-overview.html
> shows how it works in mysql.
>
> Can we throw money at someone to get this in postgres? Is there work
> already being done on this?
>
> Being able to regularly execute a postgres function every so often
> would be really nice. It would simplify lots of deployments.

I'm working on this. Glad to hear someone else wants this also.

Re: Event scheduling

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Joe Van Dyk <joe@tanga.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else want event scheduling / cron / temporal triggers in
>> postgresql? http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/events-overview.html
>> shows how it works in mysql.
>>
>> Can we throw money at someone to get this in postgres? Is there work
>> already being done on this?
>>
>> Being able to regularly execute a postgres function every so often
>> would be really nice. It would simplify lots of deployments.
>
> I'm working on this. Glad to hear someone else wants this also.

When I say "working on this", I mean the ability to have a
user-defined daemon in Postgres, which is sufficient infrastructure to
provide the basis for a user space scheduler.

I'm not going anywhere near writing anything that looks like a scheduler.