Why does exprCollation reject List node?

From
Shigeru HANADA
Date:
Hi all,

During writing pgsql_fdw codes, I noticed that exprCollation rejects
non-Expr nodes with error "unrecognized node type: %d".  Is this
intentional behavior, or can it return InvalidOid for unrecognized nodes
like exprInputCollation?

Background information: I use exprCollation with expression_walker in
pgsql_fdw to know whether an expression in baserestrictinfo->clause list
uses any collation, to determine the clause can be pushed down safely.
I want to allow pushing ScalarArrayOpExpr down, but its argument is
represented as List, so a query contains ScalarArrayOpExpr  ends with
error when the traversing expression tree reaches arguments of
ScalarArrayOpExpr.

I've spent only few hours for research though, but the interface of
exprCollation seems little odd.  It accepts Node*, but its switch
statement assumes that given object should be something derived from
Expr, and it rejects other objects with elog(ERROR).

Anyone know the reason?

Shigeru Hanada

Re: Why does exprCollation reject List node?

Date:
Shigeru HANADA <shigeru.hanada@gmail.com> writes:
> During writing pgsql_fdw codes, I noticed that exprCollation rejects
> non-Expr nodes with error "unrecognized node type: %d".  Is this
> intentional behavior, or can it return InvalidOid for unrecognized nodes
> like exprInputCollation?

Doesn't seem to me that asking for the collation of a list is very
sensible, so I don't see a problem with that.

> Background information: I use exprCollation with expression_walker in
> pgsql_fdw to know whether an expression in baserestrictinfo->clause list
> uses any collation, to determine the clause can be pushed down safely.

Returning InvalidOid in such a case would be the *wrong answer*, because
it would presumably lead the code to conclude that nothing within the
list has a collation, which ain't necessarily so.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Shigeru HANADA <shigeru.hanada@gmail.com> writes:
>> During writing pgsql_fdw codes, I noticed that exprCollation rejects
>> non-Expr nodes with error "unrecognized node type: %d".  Is this
>> intentional behavior, or can it return InvalidOid for unrecognized nodes
>> like exprInputCollation?
>
> Doesn't seem to me that asking for the collation of a list is very
> sensible, so I don't see a problem with that.

Oh, I've used the function wrongly.  It returns the collation of the
result of the expression, so passing a list doesn't make any sense.
The comment of expression_tree_walker clearly says that it can handle
List as well, so handling List in foreign_expr_walker by calilng
itself recursively for each element in the list seems necessary.

Shigeru Hanada