freezing multixacts

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
So freezing multixacts is not all that easy.  I mean, you just scan the
page looking for multis lesser than the cutoff; for those that are dead,
they can just be removed completely, but what about ones that still have
members running?  This is pretty unlikely but not impossible.

If there's only one remaining member, the problem is easy: replace it
with that transaction's xid, and set the appropriate hint bits.  But if
there's more than one, the only way out is to create a new multi.  This
increases multixactid consumption, but I don't see any other option.

However, there are cases where not even that is possible -- consider
tuple freezing during WAL recovery.  Recovery is going to need to
replace those multis with other multis, but it cannot create new multis
itself.  The only solution here appears to be that when multis are
frozen in the master, replacement multis have to be logged too.  So the
heap_freeze_tuple Xlog record will have a map of old multi to new.  That
way, recovery can just determine the new multi to use for any particular
old multi; since multixact creation is also logged, we're certain that
the replacement value has already been defined.

Sounds ugly, but not horrible.

Thoughts, opinions?

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>

Re: freezing multixacts

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> So freezing multixacts is not all that easy.  I mean, you just scan the
> page looking for multis lesser than the cutoff; for those that are dead,
> they can just be removed completely, but what about ones that still have
> members running?  This is pretty unlikely but not impossible.

Right.

> If there's only one remaining member, the problem is easy: replace it
> with that transaction's xid, and set the appropriate hint bits.  But if
> there's more than one, the only way out is to create a new multi.  This
> increases multixactid consumption, but I don't see any other option.

Why do we need to freeze anything if the transactions are still
running?  We certainly don't freeze regular transaction IDs while the
transactions are still running; it would give wrong answers.  It's
probably possible to do it for mxids, but why would you need to?
Suppose you have a tuple A which is locked by a series of transactions
T0, T1, T2, ...; AIUI, each new locker is going to have to create a
new mxid with all the existing entries plus a new one for itself.
But, unless I'm confused, as it's doing so, it can discard any entries
for locks taken by transactions which are no longer running.  So given
an mxid with living members, any dead member in that mxid must have
been living at the time the newest member was added.  Surely we can't
be consuming mxids anywhere near fast enough for that to be a problem.There could be an updating transaction involved
aswell, but if
that's not running any more then it has either committed (in which
case the tuple will be dead once the global-xmin advances past it) or
aborted (in which case we can forget about it).

> However, there are cases where not even that is possible -- consider
> tuple freezing during WAL recovery.  Recovery is going to need to
> replace those multis with other multis, but it cannot create new multis
> itself.  The only solution here appears to be that when multis are
> frozen in the master, replacement multis have to be logged too.  So the
> heap_freeze_tuple Xlog record will have a map of old multi to new.  That
> way, recovery can just determine the new multi to use for any particular
> old multi; since multixact creation is also logged, we're certain that
> the replacement value has already been defined.

This doesn't sound right.  Why would recovery need to create a multi
that didn't exist on the master?  Any multi it applies to a record
should be one that it was told to apply by the master; and the master
should have already WAL-logged the creation of that multi.  I don't
think that "replacement" mxids have to be logged; I think that *all*
mxids have to be logged.  Am I all wet?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: freezing multixacts

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of jue feb 02 11:24:08 -0300 2012:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> > If there's only one remaining member, the problem is easy: replace it
> > with that transaction's xid, and set the appropriate hint bits.  But if
> > there's more than one, the only way out is to create a new multi.  This
> > increases multixactid consumption, but I don't see any other option.
>
> Why do we need to freeze anything if the transactions are still
> running?  We certainly don't freeze regular transaction IDs while the
> transactions are still running; it would give wrong answers.  It's
> probably possible to do it for mxids, but why would you need to?

Well, I was thinking that we could continue generating the mxids
continuously and if we didn't freeze the old running ones, we could
overflow.  So one way to deal with the problem would be rewriting the
old ones into new ones.  But it has occurred to me that instead of doing
that we could simply disallow creation of new ones until the oldest ones
have been closed and removed from tables -- which is more in line with
what we do for Xids anyway.

> Suppose you have a tuple A which is locked by a series of transactions
> T0, T1, T2, ...; AIUI, each new locker is going to have to create a
> new mxid with all the existing entries plus a new one for itself.
> But, unless I'm confused, as it's doing so, it can discard any entries
> for locks taken by transactions which are no longer running.

That's correct.  But the problem is a tuple that is locked or updated by
a very old transaction that doesn't commit or rollback, and the tuple is
never locked again.  Eventually the Xid could remain live while the mxid
is in wraparound danger.

> So given
> an mxid with living members, any dead member in that mxid must have
> been living at the time the newest member was added.  Surely we can't
> be consuming mxids anywhere near fast enough for that to be a problem.

Well, the problem is that while it should be rare to consume mxids as
fast as necessary for this problem to show up, it *is* possible --
unless we add some protection that they are not created until the old
ones are frozen (which now means "removed").

> > However, there are cases where not even that is possible -- consider
> > tuple freezing during WAL recovery.  Recovery is going to need to
> > replace those multis with other multis, but it cannot create new multis
> > itself.  The only solution here appears to be that when multis are
> > frozen in the master, replacement multis have to be logged too.  So the
> > heap_freeze_tuple Xlog record will have a map of old multi to new.  That
> > way, recovery can just determine the new multi to use for any particular
> > old multi; since multixact creation is also logged, we're certain that
> > the replacement value has already been defined.
>
> This doesn't sound right.  Why would recovery need to create a multi
> that didn't exist on the master?  Any multi it applies to a record
> should be one that it was told to apply by the master; and the master
> should have already WAL-logged the creation of that multi.  I don't
> think that "replacement" mxids have to be logged; I think that *all*
> mxids have to be logged.  Am I all wet?

Well, yeah, all mxids are logged, in particular those that would have
been used for replacement.  However I think I've discarded the idea of
replacement altogether now, because it makes simpler both on master and
slave.

Re: freezing multixacts

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> However, there are cases where not even that is possible -- consider
> tuple freezing during WAL recovery.  Recovery is going to need to
> replace those multis with other multis, but it cannot create new multis
> itself.  The only solution here appears to be that when multis are
> frozen in the master, replacement multis have to be logged too.  So the
> heap_freeze_tuple Xlog record will have a map of old multi to new.  That
> way, recovery can just determine the new multi to use for any particular
> old multi; since multixact creation is also logged, we're certain that
> the replacement value has already been defined.

Multixacts are ignored during recovery. Why do anything at all?

Re: freezing multixacts

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Suppose you have a tuple A which is locked by a series of transactions
>> T0, T1, T2, ...; AIUI, each new locker is going to have to create a
>> new mxid with all the existing entries plus a new one for itself.
>> But, unless I'm confused, as it's doing so, it can discard any entries
>> for locks taken by transactions which are no longer running.
>
> That's correct.  But the problem is a tuple that is locked or updated by
> a very old transaction that doesn't commit or rollback, and the tuple is
> never locked again.  Eventually the Xid could remain live while the mxid
> is in wraparound danger.

Ah, I see.  I think we should probably handle that the same way we do
for XIDs: try to force autovac when things get tight, then start
issuing warnings, and finally just refuse to assign any more MXIDs.

Another thing that might make sense, for both XIDs and MXIDs, is to
start killing transactions that are preventing vacuum/autovacuum from
doing their thing.  This could mean either killing the people who are
holding back RecentGlobalXmin, so that we can actually freeze the old
stuff; or killing people who are holding a conflicting lock, using the
recovery-conflict stuff or some adaptation of it.  We've made it
fairly difficult to avoid having autovacuum run at all with the
xidVacLimit/xidStopLimit stuff, but there's still no real defense
against autovacuum running but failing to mitigate the problem, either
because there's a long-running transaction holding a snapshot open, or
because someone is sitting on a relation or buffer lock.  This of
course is off-topic from your patch here...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: freezing multixacts

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun feb 06 13:19:14 -0300 2012:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >> Suppose you have a tuple A which is locked by a series of transactions
> >> T0, T1, T2, ...; AIUI, each new locker is going to have to create a
> >> new mxid with all the existing entries plus a new one for itself.
> >> But, unless I'm confused, as it's doing so, it can discard any entries
> >> for locks taken by transactions which are no longer running.
> >
> > That's correct.  But the problem is a tuple that is locked or updated by
> > a very old transaction that doesn't commit or rollback, and the tuple is
> > never locked again.  Eventually the Xid could remain live while the mxid
> > is in wraparound danger.
>
> Ah, I see.  I think we should probably handle that the same way we do
> for XIDs: try to force autovac when things get tight, then start
> issuing warnings, and finally just refuse to assign any more MXIDs.

Agreed.

> Another thing that might make sense, for both XIDs and MXIDs, is to
> start killing transactions that are preventing vacuum/autovacuum from
> doing their thing.  This could mean either killing the people who are
> holding back RecentGlobalXmin, so that we can actually freeze the old
> stuff; or killing people who are holding a conflicting lock, using the
> recovery-conflict stuff or some adaptation of it.

Yeah -- right now we only emit some innocuous-looking messages, which
I've seen most people to ignore until they get bitten by a forced
anti-wraparound vacuum.  It'd be nice to get more agressive about that
as the situation gets more critical.