A little pg_dump patch

From
Enrico Pirozzi
Date:
Hi, I'm Enrico,
I wrote a little pg_dump patch,
I have introduced a new option to have a database dump without comments,
no 'COMMENT ON' are written on the dump if my new option is selected.

If this little piece of code can interest somebody, I'll be happy to
share it with the community,

Regards,
Enrico

--
That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind

Enrico Pirozzi
Tel.  +39 0861 1855771
Mob.+39 328 4164437
Fax  +39 0861 1850310
www.enricopirozzi.info
info@enricopirozzi.info
Skype sscotty71
Gtalk sscotty71@gmail.com

Re: A little pg_dump patch

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 09/19/2011 10:34 AM, Enrico Pirozzi wrote:
> Hi, I'm Enrico,
> I wrote a little pg_dump patch,
> I have introduced a new option to have a database dump without comments,
> no 'COMMENT ON' are written on the dump if my new option is selected.
>
> If this little piece of code can interest somebody, I'll be happy to
> share it with the community,

We had a recent discussion about filtering items in pg_dump /
pg_restore. My personal feeling is that we should provide filtering of
table data ion pg_dump, and pre-data and post-data sections in both, all
of which we know there are good and widespread use cases for, but beyond
that users should filter using pg_dump -F c and pg_restore --use-list.
If we try to build in every kind of filter any user might want we'll
just become horribly bloated.

What's the use case for not dumping comments? At first glance it seems a
very odd thing to do.

cheers

andrew

Re: A little pg_dump patch

From
Enrico Pirozzi
Date:
> What's the use case for not dumping comments? At first glance it seems a
> very odd thing to do.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

I wrote this little patch, becuse  my customer doesn't want to have
comments on the production db. It's not my choice

Regards,
Enrico

--

On 09/19/2011 11:23 AM, Enrico Pirozzi wrote:
>> What's the use case for not dumping comments? At first glance it seems a
>> very odd thing to do.
>>

> I wrote this little patch, becuse  my customer doesn't want to have
> comments on the production db. It's not my choice

Then use pg_restore --use-list to filter them out, and you won't need a
single line of C code to achieve your goal. The --use-list option gives
you very fine grained control over what gets restoresd and what does
not. Patching pg_dump like this seems like the wrong way to go.

cheers

andrew

Re: A little pg_dump patch

From
Enrico Pirozzi
Date:
> Patching pg_dump like this seems like the wrong way to go.

Ok ;)

Thank you very much

Enrico

--
That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind

Re: A little pg_dump patch

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: A little pg_dump patch

From
Enrico Pirozzi
Date:
Ok, but with this hack I need 2 databases, one with comments and
another without comments.
I prefer to have only one db with comments and choice to have a dump
with comments or without comments.

regards,
Enrico