regular logging of checkpoint progress

From
Andy Colson
Date:
Tomas, I cannot seem to see any of the patches you link here:

Looks like you need to take the < > out of the messageid.

-Andy

Re: regular logging of checkpoint progress

From
Andy Colson
Date:
On 09/05/2011 12:17 PM, Andy Colson wrote:
> Tomas, I cannot seem to see any of the patches you link here:
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=628
>
> Looks like you need to take the < > out of the messageid.
>
> -Andy

This patch seems to solve the problem of going back in time to solve a problem.  (need time stamped log files to see if
thingswhere slow because of checkpoint).

Several people thought a view or some-non-log option would be better.  Tomas replied "but I need to go back in time to
postdiagnose a problem", and I saw no replies to that.

Taking into account Noah's and Greg's "Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost" patch is also sending to logs, do we all
nowagree that this is proper way?

-Andy

Re: regular logging of checkpoint progress

From
"Tomas Vondra"
Date:
On 5 Září 2011, 19:17, Andy Colson wrote:
> Tomas, I cannot seem to see any of the patches you link here:
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=628
>
> Looks like you need to take the < > out of the messageid.

Sorry, fixed.

Tomas

Re: regular logging of checkpoint progress

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
> Taking into account Noah's and Greg's "Displaying accumulated autovacuum
> cost" patch is also sending to logs, do we all now agree that this is proper
> way?

My general impression of the thread is that nobody really wants to
reject the patch (because we all know that we need a lot more logging
options than we currently have) but at the same time nobody seems
quite certain why someone would want to look at this precise bit of
information.

I mean, it's already possible to get log messages at the start and end
of a checkpoint, so there's no problem with finding out whether a
checkpoint was in progress at the time something was slow.  In fact,
you can even figure out which phase of the checkpoint you were in.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: regular logging of checkpoint progress

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
>> Taking into account Noah's and Greg's "Displaying accumulated autovacuum
>> cost" patch is also sending to logs, do we all now agree that this is proper
>> way?
>
> My general impression of the thread is that nobody really wants to
> reject the patch (because we all know that we need a lot more logging
> options than we currently have) but at the same time nobody seems
> quite certain why someone would want to look at this precise bit of
> information.
>
> I mean, it's already possible to get log messages at the start and end
> of a checkpoint, so there's no problem with finding out whether a
> checkpoint was in progress at the time something was slow.  In fact,
> you can even figure out which phase of the checkpoint you were in.

Yes, we need to differentiate between real time and historic
information requirements.

If the requirement is a historical viewpoint then we already have that.

Re: regular logging of checkpoint progress

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
> Several people thought a view or some-non-log option would be better.

+1

> Tomas
> replied "but I need to go back in time to post diagnose a problem", and I
> saw no replies to that.

You can go back in time if you periodically collect the information from a view
or some-non-log. Some tools (e.g., pg_statsinfo, Oracle statspack) have already
been doing that.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center