debugging tools inside postgres

From
HuangQi
Date:
Hi,
   I'm trying to debug a modification for the query planner. But I found it seems the data structure of my planned query is incorrect. I was trying to print out the data structure by use the "p" command in gdb which is quite inconvenient and takes time. May I know is there any embedded function in postgres to print out the node data structures, or any other plan related data structures? Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Huang Qi Victor

Re: debugging tools inside postgres

From
Shigeru Hanada
Date:
(2011/06/24 15:35), HuangQi wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm trying to debug a modification for the query planner. But I found it
> seems the data structure of my planned query is incorrect. I was trying to
> print out the data structure by use the "p" command in gdb which is quite
> inconvenient and takes time. May I know is there any embedded function in
> postgres to print out the node data structures, or any other plan related
> data structures? Thanks.

I think nodeToString() would help.  This function converts node tree
recursively into a string, and it's applicable for any Node-derived
object, such as Expr, Var and Const.

ex)elog(DEBUG1, "%s", nodeToString(plan));

Shigeru Hanada

Date:
2011/6/24 Shigeru Hanada <shigeru.hanada@gmail.com>
(2011/06/24 15:35), HuangQi wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm trying to debug a modification for the query planner. But I found it
> seems the data structure of my planned query is incorrect. I was trying to
> print out the data structure by use the "p" command in gdb which is quite
> inconvenient and takes time. May I know is there any embedded function in
> postgres to print out the node data structures, or any other plan related
> data structures? Thanks.

I think nodeToString() would help.  This function converts node tree
recursively into a string, and it's applicable for any Node-derived
object, such as Expr, Var and Const.

ex)
       elog(DEBUG1, "%s", nodeToString(plan));

Shigeru Hanada

Hi,
   I don't know why but when I am debugging the query evaluation, the elog function can not output to shell.

--

Date:
(2011/06/24 19:14), HuangQi wrote:
> 2011/6/24 Shigeru Hanada<shigeru.hanada@gmail.com>
>
>> (2011/06/24 15:35), HuangQi wrote:
>> ex)
>>         elog(DEBUG1, "%s", nodeToString(plan));
>
> Hi,
>     I don't know why but when I am debugging the query evaluation, the elog
> function can not output to shell.

What kind of tool do you use to execute the query to be evaluated?

If you are using an interactive tool such as psql, please check setting
of client_min_messages.  Otherwise, please check settings of
log_destination, logging_collector and log_min_messages to ensure that
elog() prints debugging information into your server log file, or stderr
of the terminal which has been used to start PostgreSQL server.

Shigeru Hanada

Re: debugging tools inside postgres

Date:
Shigeru Hanada <shigeru.hanada@gmail.com> writes:
> (2011/06/24 15:35), HuangQi wrote:
>> I'm trying to debug a modification for the query planner. But I found it
>> seems the data structure of my planned query is incorrect. I was trying to
>> print out the data structure by use the "p" command in gdb which is quite
>> inconvenient and takes time. May I know is there any embedded function in
>> postgres to print out the node data structures, or any other plan related
>> data structures? Thanks.

> I think nodeToString() would help.

For interactive use in gdb, I generally do
call pprint(..node pointer..)

which prints to the postmaster log.
        regards, tom lane

Re: debugging tools inside postgres

From
HuangQi
Date:
style="margin:00 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class="im">Shigeru Hanada <<a
href="mailto:shigeru.hanada@gmail.com">shigeru.hanada@gmail.com</a>>writes:<br /> > (2011/06/24 15:35), HuangQi
/>>> seems the data structure of my planned query is incorrect. I was trying to<br /> >> print out the data
structureby use the "p" command in gdb which is quite<br /> >> inconvenient and takes time. May I know is there
anyembedded function in<br /> >> postgres to print out the node data structures, or any other plan related<br />

Re: debugging tools inside postgres

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:35:08PM +0800, HuangQi wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm trying to debug a modification for the query planner. But I found it
> seems the data structure of my planned query is incorrect. I was trying to
> print out the data structure by use the "p" command in gdb which is quite
> inconvenient and takes time. May I know is there any embedded function in
> postgres to print out the node data structures, or any other plan related
> data structures? Thanks.

I don't know if anyone has done it, but recent versions of gdb
apparenly can use python scripts, and use them to dump c++ library
structures in readable formats.  I guess someone could write some
script to make debugging postgresql nicer (pretty printing snapshots,
locks, etc).

Have a nice day,