Passing an array or record to a stored procedure in PostgreSQL

From
Max Bourinov
Date:
Hi Highly Respected Hackers!

I have a task to pass arrays, records and in some cases array of
records as a parameter to the stored procedures in PostgreSQL. I will
use JDBC to work with PostgreSQL 9.0 At first I would like to learn
how to pass arrays.

Any ideas?

p.s. Google and http://dba.stackexchange.com/ gave me no answer...

Thank you in advance!
Max

Re: Passing an array or record to a stored procedure in PostgreSQL

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Max Bourinov <bourinov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Highly Respected Hackers!
>
> I have a task to pass arrays, records and in some cases array of
> records as a parameter to the stored procedures in PostgreSQL. I will
> use JDBC to work with PostgreSQL 9.0 At first I would like to learn
> how to pass arrays.

This is more of a question for the -general list than -hackers.  The
one way to pass arrays/reccords/etc that is guaranteed to work is to
construct a text literal that postgres understands which represents
the structures you would like to send.  There might be simpler/better
ways but that is mostly going to depend on the JDBC driver.

merlin