Void binary patch

From
Radosław Smogura
Date:
Just patch for missing procedures for void send/recv

Regards,
Radek

Re: Void binary patch

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:20:22AM +0100, Radosław Smogura wrote:
> Just patch for missing procedures for void send/recv
>
> Regards,
> Radek

Thanks! :)

Style note: the project doesn't use // as a comment-to-end-of-line in
C because some supported compilers don't understand it.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Void binary patch

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Radosław Smogura
<rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:
> Just patch for missing procedures for void send/recv

What problem does this fix?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Void binary patch

From
rsmogura
Date:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 07:01:02 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Radosław Smogura
> <rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:
>> Just patch for missing procedures for void send/recv
>
> What problem does this fix?
Can not execute stored procedures in JDBC with out arguments, I think function retuning void as well, and some other
"minors".Ofc with binary mode.

Regards,Radek

Re: Void binary patch

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Radosław Smogura
> <rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:
>> Just patch for missing procedures for void send/recv
>
> What problem does this fix?

void returning functions may not be called when binary protocol is
requested currently.  this is annoying: some drivers that wrap libpq
or the protocol directly use the binary mode exclusively and this
causes headaches for them.  put another way, 'void' is the only POD
type missing send/recv.

merlin

Re: Void binary patch

From
rsmogura
Date:
 On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:12:23 -0600, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Radosław Smogura
>> <rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:
>>> Just patch for missing procedures for void send/recv
>>
>> What problem does this fix?
>
> void returning functions may not be called when binary protocol is
> requested currently.  this is annoying: some drivers that wrap libpq
> or the protocol directly use the binary mode exclusively and this
> causes headaches for them.  put another way, 'void' is the only POD
> type missing send/recv.
>
> merlin
Just curious what POD means?

Re: Void binary patch

Date:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What problem does this fix?

> void returning functions may not be called when binary protocol is
> requested currently.  this is annoying: some drivers that wrap libpq
> or the protocol directly use the binary mode exclusively and this
> causes headaches for them.  put another way, 'void' is the only POD
> type missing send/recv.

Yeah, this has been discussed before.

Even though this patch is far past the CF deadline, I'm a bit tempted to
push it into 9.1 anyway, just so we can check off that problem.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Void binary patch

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What problem does this fix?
>
>> void returning functions may not be called when binary protocol is
>> requested currently.  this is annoying: some drivers that wrap libpq
>> or the protocol directly use the binary mode exclusively and this
>> causes headaches for them.  put another way, 'void' is the only POD
>> type missing send/recv.
>
> Yeah, this has been discussed before.
>
> Even though this patch is far past the CF deadline, I'm a bit tempted to
> push it into 9.1 anyway, just so we can check off that problem.

+1.

--

Date:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:22 AM, rsmogura <rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:12:23 -0600, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> What problem does this fix?
>>
>> void returning functions may not be called when binary protocol is
>> requested currently.  this is annoying: some drivers that wrap libpq
>> or the protocol directly use the binary mode exclusively and this
>> causes headaches for them.  put another way, 'void' is the only POD
>> type missing send/recv.
>>
>> merlin
>
> Just curious what POD means?

POD = 'Plain Old Data' -- one of the core types.  :-).

merlin

Re: Void binary patch

Date:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yeah, this has been discussed before.
>>
>> Even though this patch is far past the CF deadline, I'm a bit tempted to
>> push it into 9.1 anyway, just so we can check off that problem.

> +1.

Done.
        regards, tom lane