add __attribute__((noreturn)) to suppress a waring

From
Itagaki Takahiro
Date:
I found the following warning with Fedora 14 / gcc 4.5.1.
----
pg_backup_archiver.c: In function ‘_discoverArchiveFormat’:
pg_backup_archiver.c:1736:11: warning: ‘fh’ may be used uninitialized
in this function
----
To suppress it, I'm thinking to add noreturn to die_horribly().
Any objections?  Another solution might be adding a dummy assignment
after calls of die_horribly().

--
Itagaki Takahiro

Attachment

Re: add __attribute__((noreturn)) to suppress a waring

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
On 24.01.2011 03:42, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> I found the following warning with Fedora 14 / gcc 4.5.1.
> ----
> pg_backup_archiver.c: In function ‘_discoverArchiveFormat’:
> pg_backup_archiver.c:1736:11: warning: ‘fh’ may be used uninitialized
> in this function
> ----
> To suppress it, I'm thinking to add noreturn to die_horribly().
> Any objections?  Another solution might be adding a dummy assignment
> after calls of die_horribly().

I added a dummy assignment, that's how we've handled this before in
pg_dump. I guess we could use noreturn, we already use it in pg_re_throw
function. But we also have a dummy exit(1) call in the PG_RE_THROW macro
for non-gcc compilers, so we might need to do that here too.

Thanks!

Re: add __attribute__((noreturn)) to suppress a waring

Date:
> On 24.01.2011 03:42, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
>> To suppress it, I'm thinking to add noreturn to die_horribly().
>> Any objections?  Another solution might be adding a dummy assignment
>> after calls of die_horribly().

> I added a dummy assignment, that's how we've handled this before in
> pg_dump.

We generally do *not* want to depend on noreturn, because it will not
suppress similar warnings in non-gcc compilers.  Just add a dummy
initialization, or reorganize the code to avoid the problem.
        regards, tom lane