Owner inheritance

From
gsdfg gdfg
Date:
Would be great if owner can be inherited from parent object (owner table ==> schema owner ==> database owner).
CREATE statement could add OWNER TO PARENT to cover this feature.

Michel

Re: Owner inheritance

Date:
gsdfg gdfg <mx.morin@gmail.com> writes:
> Would be great if owner can be inherited from parent object (owner table ==>
> schema owner ==> database owner).
> CREATE statement could add OWNER TO PARENT to cover this feature.

What it would be is a great security hole --- exactly analogous to
allowing Unix "chown" to non-superusers.  Read up on the security
pitfalls of being able to give away ownership of an object.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Owner inheritance

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 12/21/2010 07:04 AM, gsdfg gdfg wrote:
> Would be great if owner can be inherited from parent object (owner
> table ==> schema owner ==> database owner).
> CREATE statement could add OWNER TO PARENT to cover this feature.

That syntax would violate POLA in the case of inherited tables (OWNER TO
CONTAINER, or just OWNER TO SCHEMA etc might be clearer). And I think
we'd have to restrict it to superusers anyway, which would seriously
limit its usefulness.

cheers

andrew